Ten

After a game of twenty questions, I now knew twenty things about Luke which I didn't before. I knew that he liked rain in the summer, he hates dogs, his first crush was when he was six on a girl who ended up pouring her juice over him and he can play the guitar. It was little things that I had just found out about him which helped me find out more about him. The truth is, I don't think he's the guy he says he is and he's definitely full of good intentions.

Although, my mum would still not approve of me being here right now instead of glued to her side in church but I wasn't worrying about that until now. In fact, it had not even crossed my mind that I would have to return home soon and dread what was waiting for me.

This was by far the worst thing I had done, especially not even making a lie why I was leaving; instead I just disappeared with Luke and no one had any idea.

"Are you cold?" Luke turned to me, watching me hug my knees to my chest for warmth.

"A little," I tell him, "You couldn't have picked a tropical island for your getaway, could you?"

Luke laughs at my comment before shrugging, "Find us one and we'll go there, but until then - this is the best you're getting babe,"

My heart seemed to flutter at Luke calling me babe, it was a pet name which I had never been called and never thought anyone would really. I guess Luke was used to calling girls by that, he had told me he didn't even remember that name of the girl he lost his virginity to. Yet, I still enjoyed him calling me that and I hoped he would again.

"It's okay, anywhere is better than my house. It's just good to escape for a while, even if I'm going to be murdered when I return," I joke, even though I'm still fearing what my parents are doing right now.

"Don't go back yet then," Luke said slowly, "Come back to my place,"

Luke pulled a cigarette and lighter from his pocket and lit it, then put it into his mouth and began to smoke. I hadn't seen Luke smoke in ages and I wondered if maybe he had cut down.

I considered Luke's offer slowly, trying not to think too much or too less. I really did want to put off going home though.

"I'm in enough trouble," I sigh as we both stand up from the sand, brushing ourselves off.

"Exactly," Luke grinned, "You're already in trouble, so you might as well just make the most of it,"

I thought about Luke's words and if it came from anyone else's lips I would find a way to protest because my parents definitely wouldn't see it like that; but it was Luke. He seemed to have this dumb effect on me and his words had a way.

"I guess," I mumble. Luke smiles at me before nodding in the direction to get off the beach as we both struggle through the sand.

-

The walk to Luke's place which he lived seemed to drag on forever. On our way there I had to try and avoid anyone who may know my mum and Luke seemed to find that amusing. We didnt talk much, but we didn't need to. It was okay just walking beside him, sometimes our arms brushing against each other and we would both smile awkwardly.

As we approached the apartment building Luke and his friends live in, I realised I was completely wrong last month. Luke did have an apartment down one of the most expensive roads in the town and I had never been to one of these luxuary places before, I've only heard about them from people at school.

Luke didn't look like he had a lot of money, especially not from his worn vans and the same black tee he seems to wear so often, but perhaps I had been wrong - well, I was wrong. Before Luke presses the button to ring the bell of the apartment, he turns to me.