Fourteen

I sat on a thick log which Luke had found deeper in the forest and somehow dragged along the ground to where we had set up the tent. I watched Luke intently as he deperately tried to make the campfire light, but it was pretty funny how he was having no luck at all.

I had called my parents several minutes ago, saying I was staying at some girl from school's house because we had a project; although they weren't happy about it, for some reason they had agreed. I think they were just glad I apparently had friends, not really knowing the only friend I had gained this year was the dork in front of me attempting to start a fire.

"Fuck's sake, how hard can it be for one little flame to spark?" Luke groaned as he continued to flick his lighter againt the wood, but each time the wind blew, the small spark was instantly put out.

After thirty long minutes of Luke swearing and punching the ground with his bare fist with frustration, the campfire finally got going. I was glad we now had some source of heat and light because as it approached almost ten, it got extremely cold.

Before Luke sat, he crawled into the tent and crawled back out holding a few blankets. I was already wearing one of Luke's oversized shirts, but I liked the smell of him. That sounded weird and it's something I plan to keep in my mind, but I definitely enjoyed the gorgeous scent of whatever Luke's colone was, which I don't even think he knew the name of.

Luke sat beside me on the log, in front of the campfire and handed me two blankets to wrap around myself, leaving him with just one.

"You can have this one if you want," I offer, feeling guilty.

"It's cool, I have my jacket on," Luke smiles back at me and I nod in response. We hear the trees sway from the wind, which makes me jump. I had never been good with being outdoors and I was a complete baby when it came to being in the dark and hearing strange noises.

"Hey, Fran?" Luke says, distracting me from looking up to the trees. I turn and face him, the campfire light hitting his face and making it shine.

"Yes, Luke," I mock.

"I didn't sleep with Brittany," Luke said slowly, "Well, I guess I kind of did, but it wasn't like that,"

"You really don't need to lie Luke, it's fine," I say, not really wanting to discuss this topic after having such an amazing few hours.

"I'm not lying," Luke sighed before continuing, "I got into some massive argument with my mum down the phone, I went out and got drunk and ended up taking Brittany home with me. When we got back to mine though, I didn't feel like doing anything with her though,"

I nod, not speaking anymore on the topic because I automatically find myself believing him. Of course I could ask why he didn't want to sleep with a girl clearly offering herself fully to him, but I could tell Luke didn't want to talk about that and it definitely was not my place to ask.

"How comes you were arguing with your mum?" I quietly ask looking to my feet, not knowing if I was pushing it by asking that.

Luke doesn't reply straight away and I'm scared to look up but when I do I see him smiling at me. I blush as he doesn't seem to look away and like always, I wish I could read his mind.

"She wants me to go home for Christmas," Luke finally says, "But I don't want to,"

"Well, why not?"

"I told you before Fran, it's a lot better if I stay away from my family - I just end up causing drama," Luke said seriously, before ending it with a low chuckle.

"Well maybe this time will be different," I suggest.

"You wouldn't understand, just drop it," Luke mumbles, picking up a stick from the ground and drawing random patterns into the mud. I watch the stick, not really know what to say. I felt kind of offended that Luke didn't think I would understand, I mean perhaps I wouldn't, but he knows that I would try.