3

I stayed crouched for ages, wandering how much time had passed since my shift. So far I had heard and seen nothing menacing, yet I didn't let my guard down. I scented the air, the unknown wolf's scent stale.

I relaxed by a slight fraction but kept my guard up. It had been no more than five minutes of wandering aimlessly through the forest when I heard a growl. I spun around, my eyes instantly falling on some icy blue ones, different to the red tinged ones that had watched me from the bushes.

We were almost nose to nose as his scent hit me, mate. I stumbled backwards in fright, back legs falling underneath me as the russet brown wolf took a step forward. A wave of emotions swept through my body, confusing me as I tried to shake my thoughts into sense.

The wolf let out a throaty growl but he didn't come closer. I cocked my head to the side, curiously watching him but felt no fear. I stood up, no way matching his size as I watched him, waiting for his reaction.

Instantly he pressed his wolf nose to mine in acceptance, growling protectively. I closed my eyes, never wanting the moment to end as I felt the instant connection. In a flash his nose was gone and my eyes snapped open, making me glance around. I didn't have to search long before he walked from the trees towards me. I growled when I saw who it was, hackles rising.

"Woah," his familiar deep voice boomed as he put his hands up in a calming gesture. "I wouldn't hurt you, mate." I cringed at his words, backing up slowly. I shook my head, willing it not to be true. He watched me, an amused expression on his face as he bent down in front of me, not realising who I was.

He reached out a hand towards me but I'd had enough, standing to my paws, I turned on heel and ran. When I couldn't hear him following, I shifted mid-run and stumbled over my feet as I tried to regain my balance. "It's not possible," I huffed out, grabbing onto a tree for support. I felt disorientated as my body tried to accustom to the heightened senses.

A pain shot through me, making me grab my chest with a gasp. "What the...?" I glanced down and saw no injury or sign of attack. I was alone, just as I had thought but confusion wracked my brain as I felt the sharp pain once more.

Stumbling through the forest and grabbing on to trees, I began to make my way home. My head began to pound and I fell to the floor, leaning my back against the tree. I heard footsteps approaching me before there was a sharp intake of breath, "It's you." Was all Brad mumbled as he picked me up into his arms, carrying me off without another word.

*

"Ouch," I mumbled, slowly opening my eyes. Every inch of my body ached as I tried to sit up straight. I glanced around my bedroom in confusion, wondering how I had gotten home. I remembered collapsing but nothing after that, maybe I was closer to home than I thought and my parents had found me?

There was a knock on my door before my mothers head peeped around. "Good morning birthday girl!" She said with a smile, heading over to give me a hug.

"Nothing good about mornings," I mumbled, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "How'd I get back last night?"

"Brad, the Alpha's son, carried you home." She shrugged, "He never said much, only that he would see you this morning?" I frowned, thinking my mother would be acting differently to my new mate bringing my home naked.

"Why'd I black out?" I asked her, trying to get the picture of Brad holding me naked from my mind.

"It happens after every first shift, your body isn't used to it," she explained. "Why did you shift back in the forest so far away fro the house?"