22

Anyone who has ever told you that being marked doesn't hurt, lied to you. It's hurts like a bitch. I must've passed out sometime after he bit me, all I remember was what felt like millions of razor sharp knives were cutting into me and tearing at the flesh. I know I cried out but then it all went black shortly after Brad whispered that I would be alright.

My eyes fluttered open to find myself in a different room alone. The door was shut, some clothes piled up on the floor near the foot of the bed. I frowned, searching around for Brad-

Brad.

That one name shot feelings through me, tenfold to what they previously were. I felt longing, wanting to go to him and have him hold me in his arms, never letting go. I felt lust, wanting him to touch me in places I'd never been touched before. I felt possessive that he wasn't with me now, that anyone could be touching him instead of me. And lastly, I felt alone. Terribly, horribly alone. Why wasn't he here with me?

I frowned and swung my les over the side of the bed, stretching my arms upwards with a cry of pain from my left shoulder. Tenderly touching the skin, I felt it raised and bloody, slightly burning and aching if I pressed too hard.

Slowly I made my way to the bathroom, shuffling on my feet as I turned on the shower. I stripped down and glanced at my reflection in the mirror, eyes focused on my neck. Apart from the bloody mess and red skin, faint white scars from where his teeth bit into me were obvious upon my tanned skin.

Frowning again as I stepped into the shower, washing away the dirt and grime, I wondered why he wasn't here with me. I stood under the warm water for ages, adjusting the tap whenever it got too hot and contemplating what kept him away. Eventually switching off the water and wrapping I towel around my body, I had to hold back a shriek when I entered my temporary room.

"Alex?!" I yelled, gosling a hand over my heart as I attempted to catch my breath. The thin, short girl was perched on the edge of my bed, grinning like a madman.

"The one and only!" She clapped her hands together, throwing the clothes at me. "Hurry up and get dressed!" I just managed to catch the clothes, clumsily dropping one edge of the towel.

"What? Why the rush?" I frowned, pulling on the top and leggings, thing my hair up with the spare elastic I always kept on my wrist. "And where is Brad?" She threw me a pair of shoes which I caught with much more elegance than the last time, quickly pulling them over my feet.

"Brad had to leave you for fear of doing something he would regret." She wiggled her eyebrows suggestively, I frowned in response.

"What do you mean something I'd regret?"

"Just use that sexual little mind of yours," she winked teasingly, grabbing my wrist as she walked from the room, myself stumbling along behind.

I blushed with what she was suggesting, "Oh."

"Oh is correct!" She laughed lightly, "It's common for male wolves to want to-"

"Okay, okay!" I pulled my wrist from her grasp, holding up my hands in surrender. "I get it! Now where are we going?"

"Stop being so impatient!" She clicked her tongue at me, releasing my wrist to flick on the lights to the room we had just entered.

"Why does it smell like hospital in here?" I glanced around the room, eyes falling on the bed. "Stefan!" I bolted towards his bed, practically throwing myself into him. "I'm so glad you're okay!" I let go and punched his arm, "You stupid idiot! You could've died!" I took in his state; his face was bruised and bloody, right eye swollen shut. Multiple cuts flecked his skin, green and infected.

"I'm okay," Stefan croaked out, rolling his one open eye. "You should've seen the other guy, I'm sure he won't be walking for weeks!" He attempted to grin, one side of his mouth remaining down so it looked like a lopsided scowl.

"What happened to you?" I gulped, taking a seat next to his bed and grabbing onto his hand.

"I was running through the woods, burning off some steam when-" he broke off, staring intently at my neck, "So the stupid mutt finally marked you," I growled at his words, "Guess I owe dad some money."

"Just continue with the story before I punch your other eye."

"Okay so, where was I... Oh yes! So I was running and then out of no where, this guy jumps out from behind a tree and hits me on the head. That's when I blacked out and woke up here."

"Wait what?!" Disappoint seeped through my bones, "That's it?! You don't know who it was? What about a scent, appearance? Something helpful?" I punched the bed as he shook his head, cursing under my breath.

"I need to find Brad," I leapt to my feet, my mark tingling at the mention of his name. Alex jumped in my way before I could leave the room. I growled, clenching my fists at my sides. "Move."

"Sorry Riles, afraid I can't do that. Brad doesn't want you around him, scared he'll-"

"I don't care. I need to see him, you don't understand." I shook my head, clawing at her arm, pleading with her. "It physically hurts, me not being around him."

She gave me a sympathetic look and began to shake her head at me, that's when I lost it. "Take me to him now or I will find him myself!" Without a word she stepped aside, head lowered as I stormed past her, stomping through the house.

I slammed open his office door with a growl, his head shot up, meeting my gaze. His office, or what used to be, lay in tatters. Claw marks ran across the walls, the desk was cracked in half at the foot of a wall, probably thrown there. Books were scattered across the floor, ripped in half with pages lying here and there.

"I know how you feel," I whispered, running over to him and throwing myself into his arms. He caught me expertly, burying his nose between my neck and inhaling deeply.

"I freaked out when you passed out," his grip on me became bone crushing, "I thought I had hurt you."

You kinda did, I thought to myself, not saying the words aloud in case he lost it. Instead I opted for; "I'm fine now, I just missed you."

"I missed you too," he grumbled, kissing my lips gently with my head held in his two large hands. "I wanted to come and get you but I couldn't trust my wolf side to be around you."

"It's over now," I forced a smile, pushing him away lightly. "Xavier is dead, everything is going to be fine."

"There could still be something out there, we have to stay on high alert."

I shook my head, frowning, "Whoever killed Xavier must have known they were doing us a favor. Why else would they had left him here? I rate we calm down for a bit, you know, until we get threatened. Not jump to any conclusions."

Brad nodded, not looking convinced as he glanced around the office. "I need to get someone in here to clean this up," he grumbled, kicking the desk leg (or maybe it belonged to a chair) that was at his feet. I laughed, kissing his cheek happily with a weird feeling in my stomach. Never had I felt this exuberant before, or this carefree. I guess the pain was worth it for this feeling.

Because, like they say, you can't have a rainbow without a little rain.