33

Everyone stilled as the gunshot rang out, both sides blanking in confusion. If I hadn't fired, and no shots came from their direction, then who had fired the shot that now had Daveno lying at my feet in a pool of his own blood? I stepped back on horror, placing a hand over my mouth to keep from throwing up, Brad steadying me with an arm. The first shot seemed to set everything off, and wolves and gunshots began to fire out.

More wolves from their side began to pour out of the underbrush, but they weren't attacking us. Their gnashing jaws leapt for throats of the enemy wolves with loud growls. Brad pulled me away just in time, snapping me from my daze as a wolf shot past me, narrowly missing my neck. With a growl, Brad shifted and joined in the attack, claws and teeth slashing out dangerously. As I was about to shift, Ty's familiar wolf darted around, attacking wolves with a a smaller wolf, possibly Kaira, at his side.

With a growl, my bones cracked and grew, shifting into my wolf as I jumped into the fracas with a vengeance. The first wolf I encountered was double my size, it's mottled pelt bristling as it leapt towards me. It had strength, but I had speed. I leapt aside, narrowly missing it's razor sharp teeth and turning just in time to gouge my claws down his side, chomping my teeth down onto his tail.

Try not to kill unless necessary! I heard Brad order everyone, distracting me enough so that I was swatted to the side by the bigger wolf, claws tearing at my shoulder. Shaking my head, I jumped towards him, latching my teeth onto his scruff and kicking out with my hind claws, catching his chest. He rolled over, squashing my body beneath his before bolting off towards the forest, another leaping towards me. Just as I was about to move out the way of the dark wolf, a force hit into my side, teeth sinking into my belly.

I let out a yelp of pain, attempting to shake off this wolf as it sunk it's teeth deeper into my flesh, growling sadistically. His weight squashed down on me before he was yanked straight off by an unseen force, my breaths coming out shakily as pain spiraled up from my stomach, nerve endings screaming in pain. My savior, Ty, stood over me, nosing my bleeding stomach gently as I attempted to get to my paws.

Eventually managing to shakily stand, I noticed that bodies lay scattered everywhere, so maimed and attacked that I couldn't figure out where they belonged. The hunters with guns had long once fled, their guns littering the ground as the fight continued on.

We seemed about evenly matched in numbers as I scanned the fracas for Brad, spotting him attacking an ash-blonde wolf, snapping his jaws furiously. Right beside him, a small russet brown wood was stalking up to him, about to make the fight unfair. I had to do something! Ignoring the pain, I bolted as fast as I could towards him, growling at the other wolf in warn.

I let out a gasp as my body smashed into his, sending us rolling away in a tangle of fur and claws. My back hit the ground, probably ripping open my wound even more but I could no longer feel any pain, my body growing numb as I stood to face the wolf.

It's ear was torn, a slash deep and bloody on his shoulder as he sized me up, growling menacingly. I didn't back down, crouching down and ready to attack...

But I never did.

A scream attracted my attention, given the other wolf enough time to slash at my cheek before pelting away into the forest, blood covering my face as I fought to stay awake, looking around for the source of the scream. There, right outside the house, a person caught my attention.

Carter. A man in ripped shorts with a gash going down his rugged face had Carter in his grasp, a jagged knife at his throat. I took off running towards them, growling furiously. I'll teach them to touch what's mine!

I was forced to a halt, a human body planting itself firmly in front of my path and capturing me in his arms. Brad, let me go! I yelled at him angrily, claws digging into his shoulder.