21

"I-Is t-t-that-" I stammered, a hand over my mouth as I stared at the body on the porch. It's throat was slit open, dark blood pooling around him and soaking into his clothes. His fingernails, well where they would've been, had all been torn off in a gruesome mess.

"Yes," Brad said seriously, pulling me into his side. I buried my face into him, trying to block out the images that flickered across my vision. I should've been ecstatic that Xavier was lying dead on my porch, but instead I felt dread.

Xavier was the strongest, deadliest thing coming after us. Which means whatever killed him was stronger than ever. My mind boggle for possibilities, one idea sticking out more than most that made me sick to the bone. Brad's arm tightened around me, footsteps gathering around us as the pack grew curious.

I lifted my head, bile rising up in my throat as I had a thought, "Where's Stefan?" I yelled, tearing through the crowd until Brad stopped me by grabbing onto my arm.

"Why? What's wrong?" He questioned, worry in his eyes.

"What if whatever killed Xavier is still out there, what if they attack Stefan?!" I pushed him away, running towards the trees in the direction Xavier had gone.

"Riley!" Brad pulled me to ace him, firm hands holding onto my shoulders as I fought to catch my breath. My eyes darted around, nose trying to pick up his scent. "Stefan can handle himself, he'll be alright." He placed a hand under my chin, lifting my face so that I had to look him straight in the eye. "If he's not back in an hour I'll send a search party out but it won't help if you go missing too."

I nodded, feeling numb as I looked into the forest, wrapping my arms around my torso. Brad turned to the pack, holding a hand up for silence. All murmuring stopped as they watched him attentively. "Everyone needs to go home right now until I know what's going on."

"But-"

"Now!" Brad growled at the packmate who had tried to speak, silencing them. "It's for your own safety." One by one they nodded, breaking off in bits and pieces. Mothers clutched onto their young, dragging along older children.

"You too," Brad mumbled into my ear, grabbing my small hand in his large one as he tugged me towards the house.

"But Stefan-"

"I told you," he shut the door behind me as we entered the house, "I will send wolves after him in an hour."

David was pacing the room, running hands through his hair. It was so out of character that Brad seemed to realize the dire need of the situation. "You have to do something," David growled, storming towards us and glaring straight at Brad. Their faces were just a few inches apart, David's teeth bared as he clenched his fists at his sides. "It's your fault that he ran off! It's too dangerous for him to be out there alone!"

Brad kept a neutral expression, staring at David evenly. "I'm giving him an hour before I send out a search party."

"An hour?!" David grew angrier. "An hour is enough time for whatever it is out there to find him an kill him, maybe he'll be the next body found on your porch!"

"I understand why you feel this way-"

"No you don't!" David interrupted Brad, "You don't have anyone you care about missing! You've always had life handed to you on a silver platter! Nothing ever goes wrong-" He was cut off by Brad shooting out a hand and wrapping his fingers around David's throat.

"Don't you dare-" Brad growled, "-say that everything in my life is easy. I've faced loss and pain!" David's face began to go red, his hands clawing at Brad's as he fought for breath. Placing a hand on Brad's arm, I went up on my toes and kissed his jawline gently.

"He's just worried about Stefan," I whispered hurriedly, noting my fathers dramatic color change, "Let him go, please." In a flash he let go of David, crushing me in his arms as he pressed me up against the wall.

"Get out," he growled at David, jaw quivering as he looked into my eyes. "Get out of my territory and don't come back."

"You need me," David coughed out, rubbing a hand over his throat.

"No I don't, Xavier is dead. Whatever else comes after us I can handle." He growled, "Now leave." I heard David getting up off the ground, letting out a sigh before slowly walking from the house, slamming the door behind him.

"You shouldn't have done that," I murmured, placing a hand on his cheek. He took in a deep breath, shutting his eyes for a few moments.

"I know, I lost it." His hands fell from my shoulders to my waist, pulling me tightly against himself and the wall. "I just don't know what to do anymore, nothing is going the way I expect it to not is anything staying the same."

I kissed his lips softly, pulling away, "I'm still here, I'm not changing or going anywhere."

"I know, I just can't help but think that your body could be the next one I find, you don't understand what that would do to me!" He shuddered at the thought, burying his nose into the crook of my neck. "Everything would be so much easier if I marked you, I should have already."

"Then do it," I mumbled, toying with the hairs at the nape of his neck, twirling them around my fingertips. I closed my eyes, wishing we could stay like this forever, not caring about anything else except each other. Feeling him pull away, I frowned and tried to pull him back.

"Are you sure?" His voice was husky, making me pry open an eye to look at him.

"Am I sure of what?"

"That you want me to mark you," he traces a finger along my collarbone, stopping at the crook of my neck where he would place his mark.

I sighed, it was going to happen sooner or later. I cared for him of course, more than I could ever dream of but I feared the pain of losing him. Once you're marked to your mate, it's basically like giving them a piece of your soul. If they die, that piece of you does too and without a whole soul, I'll fade away to nothing. But then again, I'd do anything to look after him, to keep him safe.

"Do it." I mumbled, pulling his face down towards mine until our lips crashed together. It was full of hunger and want, all our grief and loss poured into one long kiss. His lips trailed down my jawline leaving shocks and sparks until he reached the bottom of my neck.

He hesitated, peppering the most soothing, light kisses upon my skin. He nipped my skin playfully, making me wrap my arms around his neck as I felt his canines lengthen. Eventually, after what felt like ages, he sink his teeth into my neck.

And it hurt like hell.