28

I woke up with a start, the cold bed on either side of me made me freeze. A million thoughts ran through my mind as I frantically looked throughout the room for Sophia and Carter- I even checked under the bed which only has a few centimeters of space! Running towards the door, I jumped back as it was flung open, ready to kick the ass of whoever had opened the door.

"I thought you might be up!" Brad said with a grin that soon formed a frown as he noticed my stricken expression. "What's wrong?"

"Sophia and Carter are missing!" I gestured wildly before stopping, Brad looking at me in mild amusement.

"Did it ever occur to you," Brad said with a smile, grabbing my hand and pulling me from the room, "That they just might be downstairs with the other children?"

I frowned as I followed him, hearing their voices from downstairs. The first thing I saw was Sophia and Carter sitting quietly with three other children, playing with dolls, cars or other toys. Letting out a sigh of relief as Sophia noticed me, I scooped her into my arms. She bent towards my ear, whispering quietly with a giggle, "Carter likes the girl dolls!"

I glanced at her quizzically, "What's so funny about that?"

"He's a boy!" Her eyes widened, her small hand over her mouth as I shifted her weight onto my other arm.

"Sophia," I clicked my tongue, "Boys can play with dolls too!"

"Uh uh! My daddy said that boys shouldn't play with dolls! It doesn't make them manly!" I stared at her, taken aback as she spoke about her parents for the first time.

"What else did your daddy tell you?" I asked almost too eagerly, clearing my throat as Brad watched me curiously.

"I'm not supposed to say, I'm not supposed to call him daddy either." I frowned at her words, looking over at Brad who slapped his palm to his forehead. I placed Sophia back down, walking towards Brad with a grin etched onto my face.

"So you told them to call you 'daddy' huh?" I wrapped my arms around his waist, looking up at him as he shook his head, laughing softly. "It's cute!"

"I'm an Alpha," he pulled a face, "Nothing about me is 'cute'." He quoted with his fingers around the word, placing a gentle kiss on my lips but it was too forced.

"What's wrong?" I pushed away from him, glancing around the room. It was too overcrowded, Alina and Stefan's pack all filling up the room on couches or huddled together in corners. "Why is everyone here, shouldn't they be in the medical center?"

"We've picked up a pattern," Brad murmured, grabbing my forearm and dragging me from the room. He nodded to Alina and Stefan who immediately followed us out, silent and serious. "They, the hunters, are attacking the doctors first, taking out that link and then a few days later coming after the rest of the pack one at a time."

"How do you know this?" I frowned, rubbing my arm when Brad let go.

"It happened to us," Alina said, stepping forward and flicking her thumb towards Stefan. "Doctor then nurses and then the rest."

"That could just be a consequence," I shook my head, "Nothing more, nothing less. Besides, what's done is done, there's no use-"

"Doctor James is dead," Brad interrupted, eyes not meeting mine. I stopped spluttering, freezing completely as my body went numb.

"B-But we still have another Doctor! Doctor Tess?" The girl was young, and had just started as a pack Doctor because our pack was getting too big and James too old. "How did he die?" I didn't want the answer, but I already knew it as they all solemnly looked at me.