Chapter Two: The Stupid Past

Adam Redman

            “Adam!” One of the blondes squealed. What was her name? Alice? Alicia? Allie? Yeah, I think it was Allie. Oh, whatever. She wasn’t hot enough for me to keep track of, and her voice was getting irritating.

            “Yeah?” I hid my annoyance, flashing her one of my charming smiles. She swooned.

            “I-I just wanted-d to s-see if you wanted to, uh, sit with us at lunch.” She stammered, obviously flustered.

            Diana Cruise rolled her eyes. Diana was the hottest junior at school, and had a little clique that followed her around. Her blonde hair, chocolate-brown eyes, and seductive body would make any guy drool. “Alyssa, Adam already sits with us during lunch,” she said smoothly. So the girl was Alyssa. Eh, I was close enough. I heard Greg snicker discreetly beside me.

            “W-well, I meant-t, f-for him to-to sit-t beside m-me,” Alyssa answered meekly, stuttering. Really idiot, talk without the stutter! It makes you sound mentally retarded! I thought, internally rolling my eyes.

            Diana gave Alyssa a look. “Did you really say that? I’m sitting beside Adam. Right, Adam?” She blinked rapidly.

            “Sure,” I said nonchalantly.

            We now arrived at the cafeteria, and I stepped in, making girls inside break out in loud whispering, giggling, and whatever crap girls did when they saw someone they liked. I let my trademark smirk slip onto my face, scanning the room. When my eyes landed on a dark-haired head with iridescent aquamarine-green eyes looking across her table at the fat loser Hew with a smile, I scowled. I had managed to keep her out of my thoughts all morning. She just had to come into my line of vision. She just had to!

            “What’s wrong, Adam dear?” Diana’s high-pitched voice snapped me out of my mental rant. She followed the direction of my eyesight and frowned slightly at Christ - Halo and Hew. Ha. Halo and Hew. The two ‘H’s.

            I quickly shook off my thoughts. Now was now, and Christina Halo was definitely not going to ruin it. “Nothing,” I lied smoothly, giving her a flirtatious smile.

            Diana giggled slightly, probably thinking that giggling like an idiot was attractive. “That’s good.” She flipped her perfect blonde curls behind her back. I couldn’t help but be reminded of Christina’s curls…Shut up! I scolded myself. “What do you want for lunch, dear?”

            It took me a moment to realize Diana was asking me a question. “Oh, I’ll get two slices of pizza,” I responded. “What do you want?”

            Diana flipped her hair again. “Only a salad with low-fat dressing and carbonated water,” was her snide reply. “I’m on a diet, remember?”

            “Uh…yeah,” I mumbled, flashing her another fake smile. Diana didn’t seem to realize it was fake and grinned back. I really had no recollection when Diana wasn’t on a diet or whatever.

            “What can I get you, handsome?” The lunch lady asked me, blinking viciously. What’s with the blinking crap? I wondered. First there’s Diana, then the lunch lady. Was it supposed to make them look hot or something? How, again?

            I gave her a smile. “Two slices of pizza with the side combo, please,” I answered, not bothering with the name flattery today.