Chapter 18

Seventeen; I didn't feel older, I didn't look older, everything was exactly the same, except that it had all changed since my last birthday. I was now the lead at my dance school, and I now had a perfect boyfriend who I loved-wait, did I love Shawn? The words seemed to pop into my mind of their own accord, like deep inside myself I knew how I felt. But I would never be brave enough to admit it, especially because things were always rocky between us and because it was still fairly new. But it wasn't just the butterflies that he gave me or the way we would kiss and touch, it was the little things about him like the way his brow creased when he spoke, and how his words rolled off his tongue like velvet. It was the way he understood parts of me that I didn't even understand myself. I loved everything about him.

When I went downstairs to have breakfast I found a card and a jewellery box on the kitchen bench. The card read:

Darling Eleanor,

We are so proud of the mature, grounded young lady you have become. You are both a graceful dancer and an intelligent student, and we could not ask for anything more than what you give us.

You will go far in life.

Happy 17th Birthday

Love Mom and Dad,

My heart sank a little as I read about how proud of me they were. Deep down I knew that as long as I was with Shawn I would never be able to be honest with them or make them proud. There would always be a barrier in our relationship.

In the jewellery box was a beautiful silver necklace with a heart shaped charm on it. I latched it around my neck and tucked it into my school uniform, admiring the way it shone in the light.

I had several texts on my phone wishing me a happy birthday, from my grandparents, aunts and uncles and a few school friends, and one from Shawn. It read 'Happy birthday baby, I can't wait to see you later on. Have an amazing day beautiful-Shawn X' I smiled at his words and the way it all seemed to come so naturally. I texted back a quick reply to each message then went on my way to school, a smile touching my lips.

I had never been one for birthdays, but it was nice having everybody wish me a happy birthday. My mood was further lifted by the prospect of seeing Shawn afterschool, and all I wanted was to see him standing there. I was itching with anticipation by the time the bell rang, and as I walked out the gate I felt nerves bubble inside me. Seeing him always made me feel like this, giddy and excited. I couldn't get to the street where his car was parked quick enough, and when I saw the black Jeep I had to stop myself from breaking into a run. Catching sight of me he got out of the car to meet me, holding a chocolate bar as promised and something else behind his back.

I immediately wrapped my arms around his neck, feeling his familiar frame against my body. He pecked me on the cheek and then the lips before pulling back to hand me the chocolate.

'I know its only small but I had to get you something other than chocolate.' He said as he pulled a bouquet of red roses out from behind his back. I gasped in surprise and excitement as I carefully took the flowers in the crook of my arm.

'Thankyou so much Shawn, they're beautiful.' I said sincerely and kissed his lips, lingering for a second.

'Where would you like to go to eat?' He inquired once we were both in the car.

'I don't want anything fancy just a burger or something would be fine.'

'I would say the local diner but I'm assuming it'll be full of kids from your school.'

'I know one a little further across town, I'll show you where to go.' He nodded and put the car in drive.

'So how's the birthday been so far?'