Breaking Ties

I used the creek to clean up once the hover craft had picked up Cress’ lifeless body. I washed his blood from my arms but I could still feel it sinking into my clothes and buried under my fingernails. I still had some gauze left so I used it to clean the blood off Caius’ face and hands. Neither of us said anything, I tried to avoid his eyes but he just stared into mine. After a while I couldn’t stand it.

“Would you quit staring at me? It’s really annoying.” He just laughed.

“Why is that annoying?”

“Because… you can't just decide that you’re going to die for someone without telling them.”

“Apparently I can. Look, I don’t care what you say, but I’m putting you first. I made it through these games once, there’s no way I can do it again, I doubt if any of us can survive this twice. The only one you’ll really have to compete with is-”

“Blaze.”

“Yeah.”

“I don’t want you to hurt yourself for me.”

“Too bad, I’ll do what I have to for you.” He reached out for my hand.

“You’re crazy.”

“And you’ll never change my mind.”

This was definitely too far gone, I can't believe I let it get to this.

“Maybe we should set up camp, I could look for more berries or-”

“You’re not going anywhere, Blaze could be close.” He grabbed my arm, almost scared that I would leave his sight.

“She’s not; they got separated in the fire, just like us. I think I heard her screaming before the mist got me.” I said.

“You never know.”

“Fine, then we’ll just sit here without eating.” I folded my arms and he sat by the ruins, offering his arms for me to snuggle into.

I know I should just sit beside him but I nuzzled into his side all the same. We sat there until the sun started going down, not eating, not sleeping; not really talking either. When the light was gone we watched the seal rise.

First was Thea from district 1, then Cress, then Rover from 3, Kara from 4 was next and the last face was Dana from the same district as Caius. I felt him sigh and look away from the seal.

“I’m sorry,” I rested my head on his shoulder, not knowing what else I can do.

“Yeah, me too. You can only go so far.” He sighed again.

I was the first on the watch again and we didn’t say much as we climbed into the sleeping bag. Before he tried to get some sleep Caius put his hand on the side of my face and thrummed my eyelashes with his thumb.