Let the Games Begin

When I woke up in the morning, Effie was standing over me. “Wake up my dear, today is the day!” I sat up and rubbed my eyes. “Your prep team is waiting and your stylist will see you off!”

Part of me wanted to ask her about Peeta, but I fear that last night was a dream. Everything sort of went by in a blur. Buffing and polishing and making me actually respectable after having had no sleep. The prep team were chit chatting about the games, I still wished they would shut up, and before I knew it I was walking toward the hovercraft that would take us to the arena.

It took a few hours; it felt like it was over in minutes.

I waited in my launch room, looking over at the glass pod that would soon transport me up and onto the playing field. I was starting to panic when Cinna arrived.

“Calm down, you can do this, you volunteered!” He put his hands on my shoulders and tried to relax me.

“I know but it’s here now and… and… and…” I didn’t really know what else.

“I have something for you.” I started breathing better because I wanted to know if he’d done it.

He pulled out my bullet necklace and a small golden tube. “I managed to get them cleared so you can take them with you.” He pulled the necklace over my head so it rested on my chest.

He handed me the lipstick and I looked at the bottom. AA. I laughed lightly to myself, this was it.

“I saw the inscription, is that some kind of brand?” he asked.

“No, just a private joke.” I smiled.

I had what I needed now, but would I even make it long enough to use it.

“You’re going to be okay, you just need to be strong, and don’t freeze.” Cinna pulled me into him and I exhaled sharply.

I heard someone in the doorway and I pulled away to see Peeta standing there.

“I just came to see how you were before… you know.” He said awkwardly.

“Nervous as hell.” I gulped and walked over to him.

“I haven’t really told you anything to help and I feel really bad about that because I should know how you’re feeling, I’ve been there.” I looked up at him sympathetically and reached out to take his hand, he squeezed mine back. “When you get up there, don’t move for sixty seconds or you’ll get blown to bits, get to water as soon as you can, don’t go into the cornucopia unless you know you can survive, don’t light a fire, at least not one that’ll make a lot of smoke or light in the open, it will lead the others right to you. If you want sympathy make sure you act like you do, if you want to entertain them, keep them guessing, they’ll love you anyway because they think you’re just like them.”

I liked the way he said ‘they think’; it made me feel like smiling. “Is there anything else?” I asked.