Rough in the Diamond

Okay guys, so I changed a lot of details for the purpose of writing this story so yes, I do realise that some things may not be correct from Suzanne Collins’ books. I mainly took the characters, setting and idea of the games. I hope you guys enjoy and just to clarify: I do not own the characters, apart from a select few, and the themes are derived from the book series The Hunger Games. Enjoy guys, and vote!

My name is Olivia Hanspark, I am twenty-two years old and I live in the Capitol city in Panem. I live with a woman named Margery who has taken care of me since my mother died ten years ago. To say that she cares for me is probably stretching it too far. She’s no mother to me, in fact she basically left me to my own devices and only spent time with me when she fed me or took me to buy new clothes. I spend a lot of time with her husband, him I like. He taught me how to throw; there was a game back when this was North America, called baseball. It involved   throwing a ball at someone on another team with a bat, and they had to hit it.

                I know, it sounds so primitive. He’s a teacher at the Capitol High School, history, if it wasn’t already obvious. He is obsessed with old world sports. I have no idea why. I can't really stand anything Margery tries to get me into, which is why Caledon uses me as a practical means to study. I would stay back with him and we would practice in the Capitol High School gym. Caledon also found the Hunger Games fascinating. Not for their content, but for the historical comparisons. There was a place called Ancient Rome, and they used to have similar games in an arena called the Colosseum. They would pit a man against some kind of animal in a fight to the death. Of course, Caledon believes that it was fixed so that the man would always win, just like the Hunger Games always had a victor, mostly with help from sponsors.

                I’ve been watching them for as long as I can remember. And this year is the 75th Hunger Games. The third Quarter-Quell. They announced the theme yesterday; tributes will be selected from the current pool of victors. For the victors of 1, 2 and 4 there will no doubt be volunteers. These are known as the ‘Careers’. They have the most surviving victors out of all the districts. The one with the lowest amount is 12, with only two, both of them male. Maybe they would select them both to be in the arena; maybe they would pick a girl at random from 12 like all the other years. Maybe a victor from another district will be chosen.

All I know is that tomorrow during the reapings I’ll be in the Capitol Square waiting to set my plan into action. I’ve been planning for a while now, and finally I have the chance to act. My only chance.

I’m sitting at the kitchen table in our Capitol apartment waiting for Margery to serve dinner. Caledon is sitting opposite to me. To anyone outside the Capitol they would be a strange looking couple. He wears mainly greens and purples and has a curly mop of ever-changing colours sitting on his head. His eyebrows are stretched into a straight line and his skin has an overly pink edge to it. She has a tight blonde up-do at all times. Even first thing in the morning I don’t see her with her hair down. She has an abundance of brightly coloured make-up, she wears it in accordance with her mood, her wardrobe is the same and it consists of wild patterns and lots of silvers and gold. I, on the other hand, stick out like an angry tracker-jacker at this dining room table. I have long wavy brown hair and I wear it half up half down. I have not cosmetically altered my face and the only make-up I ever wear is my shiny gold lipstick. I prefer to wear blacks and darker shades of green than anything too bright. In all honesty, I stand out in most Capitol crowds. Even in high school the students had their own unique sense of style.

Last year flames had been the highlight of everyone’s clothing collection after the winner of the Games made a name for himself from the fire on his parade costume. He and his tribute partner had been given a set of flaming costumes to flaunt as they captured the attention of the audience. It worked. Peeta Mellark is the first district 12 victor since the last Quarter-Quell, where Haymitch beat out forty-seven other tributes to win the games. For the 50th games each district was required to send double the amount of tributes.