Trusting You

It was late afternoon and we had a fire started to dry our clothes before nightfall. We agreed that we would light it and let it die, that was all we get. We sat by the fire with our feet as close to it as possible without burning them and shared the lamb stew. We pretty much demolished it in minutes and battled forks for the last few bites.

“So who do you think this was meant for?” I asked as I stretched out lazily after the best meal I’ve had in days.

“Uh, both of us, there were two servings. Though by the way you were eating it could have been for one of us.” I nudged him with my shoulder.

“You know what I mean, who were they sponsoring?”

“Both of us, if it was you they wouldn’t send you something that they know you would share, and same for me. We have fans out there.” It was an eerie feeling really.

There were people out there who were betting on my life, people who were trying to save me because they wanted me to succeed, or because they thought I was pretty. And everyone loves Caius, he’ll be a favourite. He was probably the best person to ally with.

“I can take the first watch again tonight.” I said.

“If you want, just wake me when you start to freeze.”

I waited a moment, “how many canons did you hear today?”

“Including the one for Richter, two I think.”

“Was that only today? It feels like it happened days ago.” I sighed.

He ran his hand over the bandage on his chest. “Thanks to your remedy it does.”

We sat around chatting until night fell; Caius was telling me about working in the pine forests of district 7.

When the seal rose we saw Richter’s picture in the sky and the number for district 4, then there was the man from district 11. The sky went black after that.

“How many of us does that leave?” I asked.

“Two down today, two down yesterday, and eight-”

“Nine, there was nine on day one.” I interrupted.

“Well that makes thirteen down, so there must be eleven of us left.” I was grateful that he said down rather than dead.

“You and me, and Haymitch, Cress and Blaze, Michel, I don’t know the others names.” I said as I ran through the remaining victors.

“Thea from 1, Rover from 3, Kara from 4, Janet from 6, and Dana from my district.”

“Do you know her well?”

“We mentored together; I don’t think she fully recovered from her games. You see this?” He rolled up his sleeve and I saw a purple mark in the shape of a ring.