Searching

“Why aren’t we going back to where you found water last time?” We had been walking for more than an hour and neither of us has said much.

“I told you that there should be more water, besides, do you really want to go back and face those creatures?” I sighed impatiently; it was like travelling with a child.

“Good point. Anyway, what’s your type then? You heard mine so tell me yours.”

He held up a branch so that I could climb through.

“Technically you told me nothing true, I guessed yours. How accurate was I anyway?”

“You weren’t, I told you mine.”

“You keep going on about how we should be allies but when it comes down to it you refuse to actually try.” Maybe it was exhaustion or hunger, or a combination of both, but I snapped a little.

I know I was being cautious too, but at least I was giving him something. This was me actually trying. Some things I had to lie about for my own safety, I might be willing to share others if we could learn to trust one another.

“I am trying, what do you want from me?” We stopped and turned to look at one another; our emotions running high.

“A little truth maybe.”

“You want my life story? Is that it?” I could hear that he was holding his anger behind his teeth.

“Are you holding back because you’re going to kill me in the near future?” I blurted, I almost sounded upset but I couldn’t help it.

“What?” He looked at me like I was crazy, probably true.

“You refuse to even try and trust me. You said we should try to get to know one another, but you’re being so restrained!”

“You were the one who gave that lovely spiel about your favourite colour being blood red!”

“Oh! I’m sorry, I lied. It’s not like I told you anything about my family or took the time to think about what kind of girl you might be interested in based on observations, and I definitely didn’t play doctor for you while you vexed over whether I was going to poison you or not!” I don’t know where this hysteria was coming from, I was usually sarcastic or snide in an argument; I guess the games had a way of bringing out your emotions. “If you’re going to kill me and that’s why you don’t want to get to know me then just kill me now.” I put my arms out to my sides and looked at him accusingly.

“I’m not going to kill you.”

“Promise?” I smiled a little.

“No, but I promise I won’t do it while there are others in the game.”

“Good enough.” We started walking again. “So, how close was I?”

He gave me that same curious look that he did when I had made the guess about his type.