Chapter 4

November; 12th

God, I hate birthdays, I mean what's the point. I get that it's the day we're born hence the name BIRTH in the title, and it last twenty-four hours but it's just a day. That's all it is. People seem to go all out on their birthdays, trying to make that day special for them each and every year like somethings going to magically change or something, and come morning it's back to the basics. When you're a little kid; birthdays to them seem to last a whole week or more, as a teen all they ever cared for was partying, and turning up; but between the ages, 18-25 they care about getting lit, or drinking so much to where they can't remember what day it is. It's a little bit too much if you ask me.

When I was four years old: on my birthday my parents would take time off work and spend time with me. My dad would spend all day in the backyard setting up balloons and party streamers as my mom she'd spend time in the kitchen baking the cake and making sure everything was perfect. As I grew older things started to change. My mom's a chef and she'd spend most of her days at the restaurant making sure the orders are ready and right. She's a little bit of a perfectionist as well and she doesn't play around when it comes to food. My dad was a labor construction worker at various sites, but because of budget cuts he was let go. He spends most of his days at home watching TV and getting drunk while mom was the breadwinner bringing in most of the money.

My parents were married for twelve years and I remember when I was seven they'd argue more and by the time I was thirteen they spit up and got a divorce. My mom wouldn't settle for a man who'd drink his life away. My dad was devastated about the divorce and fell into a deep depression shortly after. At the age of fifteen I fell into drugs, and alcohol; that's how I got the nickname Queenie. I soon became an alcoholic a little bit over a year ago. My mom eventually remarried a lawyer named Noah he's pretty decent I guess. I now have two stepbrothers; Jacob and Daniel. They're fourteen now, and the cutest little things on the planet. I lived with my mom after the divorce but as soon as she found my stash of drugs she kicked me out.

I called Camille to ask her if it was alright if I come live with her, and she was excited to hear from me that she insisted I come and stay with her. I've been living with her for a while now and she helped me stay clean. She introduced me to the love of art. College was out of the question for me because with everything going on I just don't think I have the time. Cami goes to school and then work right after while I stay home and draw. On my sixteenth birthday, I didn't do much but stay in my room and draw. Cami and I went out after, but it was nothing serious. I hated my birthday because nothing ever seems to turn out the way I want them to. My seventh birthday went by fast. All I remember is I stayed in my room and drank. I soon passed out and slept through it. Cami says that's not what happened, but something tells me this year was going to be different.

I was awakened by my alarm on my phone as I sat up rubbing my eyes as I yawned. The time read 7:45 am and a little reminder that today's my birthday. "Great," I said to myself as I got out of bed and got dressed. I placed on my boots as I looked outside and saw snow. It never snowed on my birthday before. Sure, it gets cold but never snows. I grabbed my phone and looked through my contacts when I received a message from Noah saying happy birthday and a few others from my aunts and uncles. I smiled as I poured me a bowl a cereal.

Another text popped up as I was replying to over twenty texts and it was Oliver who sent me a cute video of a kitten in what seemed like a real cake; but it was fake of course as it popped out of it with its hands in the air with a "Happy Birthday Queenie" all in lights as it sang. I must have played it over a hundred times as it made me smile. I replied back to him with a smiley face as I walked over to the couch with my phone and bowl of cereal in hand.

Cami came out of her room with her hair all messed up and in pajamas as she rubbed the crust out her eyes. She didn't see me on the couch or what I was wearing until she walked back to her room after grabbing something from the refrigerator. Her eyes widened as she ran over to me as I got up to put my bowl away. She screamed happy birthday as she hugged me. She needed a shower badly as I turned up my nose at her and tilted my head away from her. My phone was in my back pocket as it almost slipped. She let go of me and invaded my space once again.