Chapter 3

Enjoy loves! Leave me your thoughts in a comment or something!

xx Shel

Chapter 3

“I love you!” I told my mum one last time before dragging all my luggage off to the student residence building. Once inside, I pulled out my information paper the National Dance Academy had sent me to see where my room was. Room 17. Sweet, my lucky number.

I went up the stairs and found my room, pushing open my door to find my roommate had already gotten there. She was sitting on one of the beds, her head in her hands as she cried her little heart out.

“Uh.” I scratched my head, unsure what to do. I wasn’t exactly good in these types of situations. I took a cautious step toward her. “Um, hey, don’t cry… It’s, err… It’s okay?”

The black headed girl shook her head, wiping at her eyes. “No, it’s not! I shouldn’t be here. I’m not good enough. I won’t make it.”

I pursed my lips in thought. Why would she have auditioned if she didn’t think she could make it? After a minute, I reached out and patted her shoulder. “If you really thought that you wouldn’t have auditioned. What’s your name, anyway? I’m Karoline, but you can call me Karo.”

She sniffled, looking up at me. “Claire. Are you my roommate?”

“It appears so.”

“KARO!” Two obvious American accents yelled as my bedroom door flew open.

“SHELBY! KATY!” I shouted back, opening my arms just in time for them to group hug me.

“Guess what?” Katy said, flashing a grin.

Before I could guess, Shelby finished Katy’s thought. “Katy and I are roomies!”

I chuckled. “That’s great.” I glanced over to where Claire was sitting, looking awkward as she took in my best friends’ hyperness. “Guys, this is my roommate, Claire. Claire, these are my best friends Katy and Shelby.”

“Nice to meet you,” Katy said first, nodding.

“Nice to meet you, too,” Claire responded, smiling a timid smile.

“Hey, girls,” Shelby called us to attention while she flipped through her papers. “We have pointe class in fifteen minutes.”

All us scrambled around; Shelby and Katy ran out of my room while Claire and I frantically searched for our regulation purple leotards and ballet skirts. The purple color identified us as first year students, second year had pink, third year had blue, and then the company wore whatever they wanted. The boys didn’t have specific colors for each year, they all just wore black tights and shoes and a white t-shirt. I preferred getting to where whatever I wanted, but hey, nothing I could do about that.

It took my five minutes to get dressed, another three to throw my hair into a decent bun, then two minutes to wait on Claire to finish, leaving us only five minutes to run across campus and get to class. I bolted out the door, almost running into Katy as I did, then joined them in running down the stairs and out the door. Everyone stared at us as we sprinted across the grass like they had never seen four girls trying not to be late to class before. Weirdos, this would be a totally normal event for us. At least for Katy, Shelby, and I.

We made it to the dressing room with one minute to spare. We dropped our bags, leaving them wherever they landed, and tried to appear casual when we walked into the studio already full of girls. It didn’t work, obviously, seeing as we were panting like mad and looked like we were dying. Miss Raine glared at us as we sat amongst the other girls, clearly not happy with our entry.