c h a p t e r 1 6

third person

Peeta took his water bottle, walking behind Kale. They plodded out on the back patio into the cool, crisp night air. The backyard looked out at the woods far away. They sat in the chairs, glancing out at all the fireflies sparkling through the night sky. They had left the girls to finish up their movie inside. "So how did you and my little sister meet?"

"In my bakery actually. She was in line with Paisley and Primrose, Paisley was crying about how Katniss didn't try on a dress and how beautiful she would look. I agreed with Paisley and so on. I paid for both of our orders and just chatted before I had to head back to work," Peeta stated, a smile playing against his lips before he continued. "She was and is the most beautiful girl I have ever laid eyes on. Once I got to know her more, she was even more stunning. I didn't even think that was possible."

"You're good to her, I appreciate that and you. She deserves the world," Kale said, quickly taking a drink of his water. "When our dad passed away, it hit her the hardest yet she wouldn't admit that. She had to take care of Prim and Paisley in our moms stomach since she wouldn't take care of her. It was hard to hear Katniss cry herself to sleep some nights and to hear and see her on the kitchen floor in tears."

"I wish I was there for her during that time." Peeta's heart broke to hear how his darling Katniss was. How heartbroken she was. He never wanted her to feel that way ever again.

"Me too. I was still trying to cope with his death and I was being selfish, only caring about my own feelings for dad. I didn't realize how bad she was hurting." Kale squeezed the bridge of his nose, trying to force all of those bad memories away. "I promised myself that I would be there for her ever since I realized that. Once she got her ex boyfriend though, oh boy. I despised that man, he treated her so wrong. I swear I could've killed the man for laying his finger on her. Now you see why I'm so overprotective of her. I know I can't cover for all those times before, but now I can and I will."

"I understand one-hundred percent. I promised to protect her no matter what, and I tend to keep my promise." Peeta paused a moment. He took a glimpse at Kale, who was staring off into the distance. "That's leads me to asking you this -"

"You wanna marry my little sister," he stated bluntly, never glancing over at Peeta. He drank a little sip of his water before turning towards him.

"Yes, I really do want to marry Katniss. I know she means a lot to you and you're overprotective of her, so I'm asking you and your mom for your blessing," Peeta replied quietly, he didn't want to be too loud in case Katniss was spying. She wasn't though, she was snuggled up to Primrose while Paisley sat in her lap, her head resting against her chest as her little snores filled the room. Kale turned back around to the field leading to the woods.

"You have my blessing." Peeta blinked slightly, thinking over what he just said. Suddenly a smile inched across his face, joy filling up.

"Thank you man, it means a lot," Peeta responded, standing up along with Kale. He could see them being good friends. They went back inside, Peeta followed the sound of the television. Inside the room was Katniss with two little girls sleeping on her. She mouthed help with a silent laugh as she switched the television off. He couldn't help but think this could be his life soon. Him coming home late from the job to Katniss, his wife, sitting on the couch with their sleeping children. He picked Prim up, her immediately cuddling to him while Katniss carried a sleeping Paisley in her arms. They tiptoed up the stairs, tucking Primrose in bed first. Next came Paisley. Katniss tucked her under the covers, squeezing her hand right before she pushed herself to leave. Paisley snatched on to her arm quickly.

"Can you sing?" she asked, her voice was tired and quiet. Katniss nodded as Peeta still stood in the doorway.

"Deep in the meadow, under the willow. A bed of grass, a soft green pillow. Lay down your head, and close your eyes. And when they open, the sun will rise. Here it's safe and here it's warm. Here the daisies guard you from every harm. Here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true. Here is the place where I love you." Peeta watched in awe, studying Katniss' every move. She was effortlessly beautiful and her voice, her voice was breathtaking. How could one sing like that?

"Deep in the meadow, hidden far away. A cloak of leaves, a moonbeam ray. Forget your woes and let your troubles lay. When again it's morning, they'll wash away." Paisley's eyes fluttering shut as Katniss continued to sing and stroke her blonde curls.

Here it's safe and here it's warm
And here the daisies guard you from every harm
And here your dreams are sweet and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.
Here is the place where I love you." Katniss kissed her head, tucking her into the covers once more before getting up. Peeta was still standing in awe at the beautiful girl in front of him. She was amazing with children, did she not realize that? She fell into his embrace as his lips pecked the top of her head.

"That was beautiful," he whispered softly against her forehead. "Just like you."

She blushed crazily, thanking him. Just as they settled down on the couch in the living room his phone began to ring. He answered quickly, his voice changing to the stern, commanding leader voice. "Yes?"

"Boss, we have a problem down here at the warehouse. I think you should get down here," Finnick's voice was heard on the other line.

"What kind of problem? I'm busy at the moment," Peeta said carefully while his eyebrows furrowed. Katniss' leg was draped across his lap while his hand rested, caressing them. Her other leg was folding carefully under her as she twirled her hair, listening in on his conversation.

"Someone stole our shipment. If we don't get it to ship out to the other guys, they'll be furious," Finnick sighed. He truly didn't want to ruin his boss' night, but he had to know.

"I'm on my way." Peeta hung up, his jaw clenching as his face grew red.

"Babe, what's going on?" Katniss' sweet, angelic voice snapped him out of his anger. As soon as he made eye contact with her silver eyes, his eyes grew back to the bright blue and his face was no longer colored.

"I have to go to the warehouse," he said truthfully. "I'll be back soon."

"Don't go please," she begged, stroking his cheek gently.

"I have to, I don't have a choice. I promise I'll be back," he stated, kissing her nose. She straddled him, rocking back and forth slowly. She kissed his neck, nibbling here and there. "As tempting as this is, I can't. I have to go."

"Are you positive?" His hands were gripping her small waist, his eyes closing simply in pleasure. Her kisses were his favorite.

"Yes, but I'll be back and we can finish." She got off, kissing his lips passionately before he left out the door.

+ + +
sorry y'all i just haven't been in the mood to write but i'm back :)

so peeta's planning on marrying katniss soon??

thank y'all, love you so much
bye tributes
-xoxo💋
do you drive fast, when you realize you're on my street?