c h a p t e r 1

third person

The crunch between her boot and leaves is the only sound that could be heard. Birds began to awake, chirping a sweet good morning song. She followed up the path a bit more, her bow in hand. This is just target practice, nothing big. She approached a tree, eyeing the target in front of her as she silently lifted her bow and arrow, keeping an eye on it. Breathe in and out, what her father had taught her. She let the arrow fly, hitting right in the bullseye.

She smiled softly, glancing up at the sky. It's a perfect day for a picnic, really anything for that matter. Her name is Katniss Cecelia Everdeen. She is twenty-three years old. Her mother, older brother, younger sisters, uncle and aunt are the only relatives she has left. Her father died of cancer, just three years ago, leaving her mother in somewhat of a depression. She quickly recovered though, realizing she was pregnant. They don't have much, but like her father used to say, all you need is love and family. So that's what they have. She plodded back in town, ready to pick her sisters up.

Primrose, or Prim, is only fifth-teen years old. She's the total opposite of Katniss and her older brother Kale, blonde hair and blue eyes. She's picking her up from Rue's house before stopping at home to pick up Paisley. Paisley is also like Prim except blonde hair and grey eyes. Prim comes running out of Rue's, a smile plastered on her face as her two braids fling against her back.

"Bye Rue!" She yells, waving as she opens the passenger door. "Hello Kitty!"

"Hello little duck," Katniss says, ruffling her hair a little as she began to drive. "Make sure to put your seatbelt on."

"Always do," she replies back, her head sticking up high. Katniss' braid was falling down her shoulder as her laughter filled the air. Her little duck was growing up so quickly. As soon as the two of them stepped inside the Everdeen household, Paisley came running, more like stumbling, towards them. Being only three, she's still so tiny and doesn't know how to control her running sometimes.

"Hello Miss Paisley! Are you ready to shop?" Katniss questioned her younger sibling, lifting her up into her arms. Paisley nodded excitedly, kissing her on the cheek. Paisley loved her family, more than anything. Her small heart had so much love to give them.

"I'm buying a puppy!" She exclaimed, crossing her arms as she felt weightless in Katniss' arms. Katniss giggled, bringing her into the living room where her mother was seen in the kitchen.

"Is that so?" Katniss set her sister down.

"Yes, yes, yes!" Paisley shouted, walking to her mother with those big puppy dog eyes.

"I already told you Paisley, we can not afford a puppy. We don't have money for the puppy," Her mother tried to make Paisley understand, yet she knew she wouldn't know. She would understand when she was older though, it just would take awhile now.

"I have money!" Paisley pouted even more, plopping on the couch.

"Pais, your money from your games doesn't count. That's basically monopoly money," Katniss reasoned, a smile playing on her lips. "We'll see if we find one and one in the price range."

Katniss knew Paisley would forget once they saw all the pretty clothes and mouth watering food. Paisley leaped into her arms, hugging her tightly as they bid their mother a goodbye. Then they were off on their shopping day.

Peeta Mellark's dress shoes stomped against the floor as he passed everyone fell silent. He was the Boss. His jaw clenched as his buddy opened up the door to his office. His office was huge, on the top floor looking out to the city. His sleek black desk was seated in front of the windows with two seats seated in front of it. A couch and television was placed to the side, just in case he had a long night here. He also had a kitchen to the other side, along with a bathroom. The Mellark business had been in his family for years upon years. Peeta, though, made them top dollar.