I was thinking of calling him when suddenly the wind shifted and blew my scent right towards him, I had a second to be unsure on what to do before I saw him snap his head in my direction. I froze at what I saw, this dog if he could even be called that anymore, was sick. I had never even thought that something that had been killing off the human population could also affect the animals, but seeing this dog snarling in front of me I knew that it had. The dog had bloody foam dripping from its jaws as it growled and snarled, advancing closer to me. 

I tried to look it in the eyes but they too showed signs of the sickness as the fur around them was matted with blood, his eyes red from it. I had come across the occasional wolf or coyote on my hunts but none of them had been sick like this, I was at a loss for what to do. I took a slow step back as I gripped my bow tighter, with how close the dog was I wouldn't be able to get a shot off until he was already on me. I had a quick thought of the knife I kept at my hip then the sick dog was charging me, there was only one thing I could do...run.

 I gripped my bow tight as I ran further into the town I could here the dog snarling at the chase, there was no way I could make it to the trees so I cut into the first big building I could find. I heard the dogs claws slip on the floor behind me a soft thud told me I had bought myself a few extra moments as I ran up a flight of stairs, pulling back on the arrow as I turned to the beast trailing me. 

My heart was pounding in my ears, the dog was halfway up the stairs and still charging at me. I would only have one quick shot to hit my target, if I missed I was dead either by the beast or the sickness it carried. I remember the fear and resolve that hit me in that moment as I let my arrow fly, the sickening sound as it sunk into flesh and bone. Then I remember watching the body of the beast fall down the stairs and rest at the foot of them, my arrow buried between his eyes.

 I had come very close to death and danger that day, and it was not something I would easily forget in years to come. I now knew that the danger was not only with the people it also rested inside the animals, turning them into blood thirsty beasts. I remember shaking as I leaned against the stair rails for support eyeing the body below me, taking a few minutes to calm myself before I knew I had to move on.

 I took in my surroundings to find I had run into some sort of mall or supply store of some kind and I set about silently exploring the place, making sure to notch another arrow in case anymore beasts were hanging about. I searched store after store for anything useful, coming up with a black sleeping bag that I happily added to my things as I was growing out of my old one. I also found a black leather jacket that fit me nicely and slipped it on over my hoodie before stuffing a few more clothes into my bag.

 I even grabbed some soap, shampoo and hairbrushes for Marie and 'mother', I would use them if allowed but was fine without them since I had learned to make do with what nature provided. Although I found myself stuffing toothpaste and brushes into my bag in abundance, I would give a few to the others and hide the rest away for later. I even threw a few towels into my bag thinking of ways I might use them, then it was time to move onto what I had been dreading.

 I came up to the Victoria Secret sign with a scowl on my face, there were few women left so plenty on offer but that didn't mean I liked shopping for this stuff. I needed it though, I had grown in many ways over the years and the underwear and bras were important enough. I stuffed a few into my bag, making sure to get some for 'mother' and Marie, I even threw in some swim suits in case we used them, they could easily enough be made into bras too. With my bag full I happily left the store and re-notched my bow, not bothering to look at the shoes since I much preferred my moccasins anyway.