Pretending

“Jess,” I avoided eye contact, opting to remain flat on the ground, tormenting an ant. Sakura stood over me, tapping her foot as she tried to have me listen. “Jess, this is important.”

“Just say it, I’ll stay here, though.” She sighed, sitting on the park bench in front of me.

“I had one more question to ask, but I didn’t want to ask it in front of everybody…” I let my tongue creep out of my mouth from my concentration, as a certain ant was being pretty finicky with where it wanted to go. At the same time, however, I moved, which earned me gravel to the mouth. I spat at the ground, my face pinching while I continued to overreact. “Jess!”

“Whaaaaaaat?!” I sat back up, pouting, undoubtedly having dirt covering my face.

“So, Sasuke is okay?” I raised a brow, remembering my last encounter with Sasuke not too long ago.

“Yeh, I guess. He’s a bigger dick than ever, but other than that, he’s fine.” I’d never been that close with Sakura, as our personalities had never quite fitted together all that great. But, when I saw her eyes light up and her mouth curve into a hint of a smile, I knew I’d made her day.

“Can you… Can you make him come back?” I grimaced, getting to my feet and dusting myself off.

“I can’t make him do anything, Sakura. If anything, we’ll end up getting into a physical fight over the topic.” Her face fell again, but I knew I hadn’t dampened her previous joy.

“By the way,”

“Yeah?”

“You have drool all through your hair.” I blinked, reaching back and running my fingers through- yep. There it was.

“I…” Both of us were silent for a moment, before I stretched. “Well then, I guess it’s time I go.” I reached for my weapons pouch, and Sakura stood.

“Where are you going?”

The kunai spun around my finger easily, and I turned my back to her, eager to get a head start. “To kill Akamaru, what else?”

“You ca-“

“Bye!”

*************************

“You can’t just kill a dog.”

“I beg to differ. They bleed like anyone else, so obviously I, in fact, can kill a dog.”

“But just because you can, doesn’t mean you should.”

“How so?”

“It’s morally incorrect.”

“You and I have very different morals, my dear friend.”

“Jess.”

“Yeah.”

“Shut up.”

Kakashi was finished with the conversation, giving me a quick nod goodbye before disappearing. Naruto was in the corner, laughing, with Sai beside him, indifferent.

“The look on Kiba’s face!” I pouted, looking at my comrade.

“Why are you laughing?” Naruto paused, looking to Sai, then back to myself.

“Well, you pretended to want to kill Akamaru.” I didn’t say anything, continuing to stare. Naruto became progressively uncomfortable, clearing his throat and sitting up straight. “You were pretending, right?” I slowly rose from my chair, still staring at him.

“Yes,” My answer was quiet, drawn out. “Of course.”

Naruto soon left, not that eager to be in a room with me any longer.

“You weren’t actually gonna kill the dog, were you?” I shook my head at Sai’s question, laughing.

“Nah, it’s just fun to watch Naruto squirm.” Sai clicked his tongue.

“Shame.”

“What is?”

“You not wanting to kill the dog.”

“Why?”

“It howls at night and it wakes me up.”

“So you want Akamaru to die?”

“Or disappear.”

“Rational.”

“I think so too.”

________________________________________________

I'm laughing so hard here I am after fifteen years holla. anyway yeah humours hard to write and I had to change my writing style so much to make this happen because I'm just not used to this kinda stuff rn.

((im used to hot tall dark haired men who like the water ye))

(((not free!)))

((((but I like that too tbh))))

so uh yeah hope it didn't suck too hard. I just thought 'eh I put it off long enough' and these have always been quick to push out because they're just really a 'whatever' story so ye