konstantine

-This is to Jimmy Eat World and those nights in my car, when the first star you see isn't really a star-

We're driving in my car and i'm painfully aware of your existence in my passenger seat. Every stressful thought is being chased by a cigarette. With smoke filling my lungs, I try to ignore how easy it is for me to follow your every command. 

It's nearing midnight and I don't recognize this world. It's almost as if we've taken off driving and ended up on a winding country road in a brand new universe. No cars, no streetlamps, not even a deer to bare witness.

I'm watching your hands grip the edge of your seat as you lean over the dash, trying to spot the sign you're pretty sure I'm missing. I can hear your cautionary comments warning me to slow down but I can't focus enough to do anything. I've never been good at slowing down, to really take in my surroundings, to really be sure not to miss the signs.

There's a road to the left and I realize that this is our road, the place we've been headed. We roll the windows down and invite the harsh winter air to kiss our cheeks and make them blush. I've never liked my cheeks with a rose tint, so I reach for the heat blowing from the vents. You tell me to turn the music as loud as it goes and as always, I follow through.

I fill my lungs with smoke and scream. I laugh, you smile.

Now you're climbing out the window of my car, stopping half way to sit on the door. Out there the wind hits you at 75 miles per hour. In here, it feels like we aren't moving. It feels like we've paused life right at the perfect moment. We're paused inside this song that's telling us that we'll be okay. The moon is full, the stars are surrounding us, and you're embracing the bitter air with open arms. The road comes to an end, the song fades out, and you slide back into your seat. We're back on earth and reality is back in it's proper place.