Chapter 10: Jacobson's Organ

Chapter 10: Jacobson's Organ

I could feel the vibrations of the beast at my back. I wanted to scramble back but i found myself frozen. The Naturals restraining Argi pulled him down the hall. Well, he was more or less clinging to them, filching under the gaze of that above me. When he was out of sight, more Naturals came. 

These Naturals were more medical than the guards I had grown used to. They wore the typical lab coats, without stethoscopes. They would have no need for them when their hearing was so refined. Approaching slowly and lowly, they gauged the beast's moments. My eyes screamed, move faster! But their focus was more on the target that might actually hurt them. 

"Sir, you need to back down." the farthest one advised. A loud growl followed.

I heard something fast moving in the air and the distorted, sharp whimper. The beasts mouth was at my exposed neck, panting hot breath. Sharp teeth glazed over my skin and under the collar of my shirt. When one of the Naturals shifted her weight too fast towards us, he clamped down. I was suddenly lifted up, trunk-style, and moved closer to the wall. The beast stood in front of me a growled lowly. I was sure teeth were showing.

The nearest Natural, a tall male, was just out of the beast's periphery. He shares looks with the others and nodded. Waving his hands, he motioned for me to try and crawl away. The beast in front of me, stood around my sprawled legs. Farther down the hallway, a movement caught its eye and cause them to shift their position. One paw attempted to balance on top of my calf before it slipped off.  I couldn't feel that.

Ignoring the Natural man, I focused on moving one socked toe. Nothing, may that was too little of gesture of me to notice. I tried on moving the entire foot to the right. Bending my knee, shifting by my upper leg muscles. The lower half of my body was disconnected from the rest of me. I remembered a loud crack when I fell with the Natural on top of me.

The rest of me I could feel, but also struggled to move, although I did accomplish getting a finger to flinch. Night child paralysis, I recalled hearing the ginger Natural talk about, outside the door about the time I was first moved into the room with the two-way mirror. I couldn't move them but I believed that to be due to the overuse of bondage. What was Argi's plan? Erase my existence from the building, dope me on vampire blood, then what? Drop me outside the borders? Kill me? Or free me?

I sent a pleading look at the Natural man, all my control left to my eyes. There was another whirling sound and a whimper. The beast's forepaw buckled as another tranquilizer dart pinched their fur. The assault began, as the beast stance lowered, the Naturals advanced. Soon it were on its stomach, still growling but it was more pathetic than intimidating. The Naturals had its paws pinned and a muzzle in place before it were strapped down to a gurney from the hallway over. When the beast was secured, it was my turn.

Hot hands attempted to get me to stand with my arms were stiff and my legs were limp. When the Naturals determined that my feet were underneath me and let go, the ground came rushing toward my face. I couldn't even raise my arms to protect my head. The beast, who had been lowly growling through the whole process, viciously reanimated. The restraints groaned but held. More were added just in case. The Naturals left me on the floor were i had fall with little thought.

My lack of ability to move seemed to perplex them more than the pain they had caused. They became distracted by another round of alarms. This one was much different than the set the beast had triggered. I could hear a series of boots hitting the ground, a set raced past. I caught sight of their backs as they turned the corner. Guards, but unarmed.

One set back tracked. 

"Is this the human who drank Night child blood?" They asked.

Um, the Beta could smell it on me. And you call yourself a dog, or more us humans do behind your back.