Wi-Fi (20)

Song of the chapter: Ma Lo by Tiwa Savage and Wizkid.

...

"You didn't reply her?" Mfon asked, raising a threatening eyebrow at Tade.

"No. I told you na. I panicked and logged out and-"

"You didn't reply her?" Mfon said again, standing up and whacking Tade repeatedly with her spoon.

"Ouch! Stop it you crazy woman! Michael, take your wife away from me." Tade whined, trying to block the impact of her wrath.

"She's not my wife yet. Besides, I know what's good for me, which is why I don't step into Mfon's 'angry' affairs. I don't want to die like all those terrorists in the north abeg." Michael said, taking a spoon of rice into his mouth.

They went out for lunch together while talking about Mfon's upcoming wedding, and Tade decided to tell them about how badly his last discussion with Amenze went.

After she had asked him when they could meet up, he panicked, logged out from the website, shut his laptop down, and buried himself in work; afraid that the repeated chiming on his phone was her, he refused to check his messages.

"Do you know what the poor girl would be thinking now? Maybe he's a stalker? A pedophile? Or a liar?" Mfon hissed.

"Well the lying part is accurate." Tade chipped in.

"That's why I told you to tell her since! Ode!" Mfon replied, dragging the word 'since' for emphasis .

"It's just one little lie. I'm sure she won't mind." Michael shrugged, more interested in his chicken than the conversation.

"Women don't like to be lied to." Mfon stated. "Neither do we men." Tade added.

"Didn't stop you from lying now did it?" Mfon spat out. "Okay, okay. The both of you bickering wouldn't solve the problem." Michael placed a comforting hand on Mfons shoulder, squeezing it gently.

"Who's going to comfort me?" Tade whined. "The girl you didn't reply." Mfon retorted and Tade stuck his tongue out at her childishly.

When Mfon had visibly calmed down, Michael decided to take the lead. "So Tade. We're listening." Michael said. "We won't work. All it takes is for her to see me and then she'll go running for the hills. She won't like the fact that I lied to her, and it's not just one lie, it's a very big obvious lie. No girl would want to be with a guy on a wheelchair na." Tade explained.

"For the love of God, you're talking like you're one beggar on the road like that. You own a freaking company dude! You're rich, funny, handsome-"

"You think I'm handsome?" Tade interrupted Mfon, wiggling his eyebrows.

She rolled her eyes, reaching for her spoon but Michael took it before she could."Shut up before your head blows up." She scolded him. "You have every thing that a typical Nigerian girl wants in a guy. And she's already falling for you. I'm sure she won't care about the wheelchair." Mfon finished.

"And if she does?"

"Then she's not the one for you. But there's someone that loves you, wheelchair or not." Mfon replied, giving him a warm smile.

"Fine, I'll take the risk." He sighed.

She beamed and Michael gave him a pat on the back. "Great. I'll drop you there." Mfon said.

"Um, I can just order an Uber." He protested.

"And back out last minute?" Michael asked. "No way, we're seeing it through till the end."