Wi-Fi (8)

Song of the chapter: We All Want The Same Thing by Rixton.

...

6 months ago.

***

Simon Bello woke up feeling refreshed. There was a wide smile on his face, and nothing could wipe it off. He had just been named the sixth richest, and the  youngest, billionaire in Nigeria, and his company ranked third place in Africa.

So why wouldn't he feel good?

He remembered the glow of pride on Olamide's face when he received the recognition, and her words after they stepped off the stage.

"Now it's me and you babe, against the world. Now we're unstoppable."

Mfon had said that her words weren't one of pride, but of greed.

There were rumours of her having an affair with his head of accounts, Manny Nwodo, who was also his close friend. But he didn't believe any of them. He trusted Olamide, and Manny.

They never got along, but he couldn't let that dampen his mood. He had to get to the office.

He thought back to his fiancee, and his best friend.

They could never betray him.

...

Present Time.

***

Tade looked at Manny for a split second.

His designer tux, fresh dark skin, well polished shoes, and his signature smirk.

Then he did the only thing a coward would do.

He ran.

Well, not literally because, you know, his legs didn't work; but he tugged the sleeve of the Uber driver.

"Get me out of here." He said lowly.

Manny hadn't seen him, as he was still in a deep conversation with his secretary, his hand was on her hip as the woman giggled at whatever he was saying; and he was grateful for that.

Not grateful that he was messing around with his secretary though.

But grateful that he hadn't seen him.

"Sir?" The driver asked in confusion.

"I said, get me the fuck out of here." He said panicky and the driver quickly grabbed the wheelchair, and pushed him out of the office and into elevator in record speed.

As soon as he got into the elevator, he let out a sigh of relief.

"Is everything alright sir?"

Does it look like everything's alright? I'm stuck on a wheelchair while the ole that stole my money, my company, and my fiancee is strolling around in designer suits! And I can't do anything about it!

But he couldn't say that to the driver. Taking his frustration out on him won't do any good.

"Everything's fine. Just take me home." He said distantly.

Even home didn't feel much like home.

...

"You saw Manny? That's great!"

"No that is not great. That is far from great. In fact, its terrible gan gan ni. I'm so happy he didn't see me." Tade replied over the phone.

He could imagine Mfon's eyebrows crease in confusion.

"Why is it terrible?"

"Manny is the one behind my problems. He's the one who stole from me." Tade said matter-of-factly.