Wi-Fi (13)

Song of the chapter: Sugar by Maroon 5

...

Tade was feeling on top of the world.

Why?

Because he was getting himself a new laptop.

But why would he be so elated just because of one laptop?

Easy. He was buying it with his own money.

"People are looking at you weird. Stop smiling." Mfon whispered harshly, eyeing him. Mfon and Michael, or M and Ms, as he had decided to call them; came with him.

"Why are you guys here sef? Don't you have jobs?" He rolled his eyes. "If we weren't here, no one would drive you." Michael pointed out.

"Or push you around." Mfon added.

"Dude. You're supposed to be on my side." Tade whined, looking at Michael.

"Sorry man. You're not the one that sleeps with her at night. Every man for himself." Michael shrugged, and went over to the headphones aisle, muttering something like Tade getting him in trouble with his babe.

"I don't think people are looking at me because I'm smiling." Tade said, gesturing to his legs.

Mfon chose to ignore him.

"So how does it feel to spend your own money after almost a year?" Mfon asked.

"I've been spending the little money left from my company before." Tade narrowed his eyes.

"Well you've been spending Simon Bello's money. Not Tade Bello." Mfon corrected. "It feels good, and I need a new laptop anyways." Tade shrugged.

He was still thinking about the lead Mfon told him about the previous day. He was excited that the case was moving forward, but at the same time, he was scared.

What if he doesn't win?

...

"So what's your lead?" Tade  had asked, ignoring the nervousness in his stomach.

"So, remember when you said that when you woke up, the lawyers told you that you had only about fifty kay left - which you wasted on booze- and that the rest of the money was spent on covering wages and other costs of the company?" Mfon asked.

"Yes. And I was so sure that I was supposed to have more left, and I was insured, but the police refused to investigate and no one would talk to me. I just had to let it drop sha." Tade replied.

"So I checked the financial records of your company before its demise. You were very rich sha oh! How come you never bought stuff for me sef?" Mfon gave him a pointed look.

"I bought you a house." Tade pointed out, narrowing his eyes at her. "Two in fact. And that yatch you said you wanted. Remember what you said that day? 'I'm your best friend. I'm entitled to fifty percent of your money.'" He reminded her, raising his voice as he tried to mimick her.

She gasped, folding her arms against her chest. "That's not what I sound like!"

"That's not what I sound like!"

"Tade. Stop it now."

"I'm surrounded by children." Michael muttered.

"Now back to the lead; I found out that the money used to cover the costs was only about one fifth of what you had in your company account. And insurance paid you too. But you didn't get any of the money." Mfon pointed at him.