Noise [Eight]

[Eight]

Aralyn's POV

My eyes adjusted to the dark a couple of minutes after I had woken up. My hands were bound behind my back and my feet were roped all the way up to my knees. I wasn't going anywhere. I could only make out the outline of the door since a few streaks of light shone through the space at the bottom, but the light was no help to see what else was in this room. Water grew in my eyes as I came to terms with what had just happened. I had been snatched. Taken from the only place I ever called home. And nobody even tried to help me. I was on my own. Completely alone.

I wiggled in my restraints, but the rope was wrapped round my body so tight it was useless me even trying. Where was I?

"I'm dead" I sighed to myself and breathed out heavily.

"Me too" A voice came from the corner of the room and my head whipped round, cricking my neck in the process. I couldn't see anything and I shuffled uneasily away from where the voice had come from.

"Who are you?" I managed to whisper over my pure terror of the whole situation.

"Who are you?" the stubborn voice came back a few seconds later "I share my room with no one" she said like I had intervened on her privacy knowingly. It wasn't my fault I was taken, and it wasn't my fault I had been drugged and dumped in her room.

"It's not my fault I'm here. I can't exactly help the fact I'm tied up and can hardly move" I pulled at my ropes again, but they were never going to come lose under the pressure of my weak fingers. To be honest I was still knackered from the journey here and I could barely lift my head, let alone untie myself from this pile of cord holding me together.

"You're tied up?" The girl, who sounded about my age, said, and then went into a rapid coughing fit, making the room echo loudly. "You must be a newbie"

"Huh? Are there other people here?"

"Sure, loads. I've been here a couple of weeks"

"You have? What do the scientists do to you?"

"Test you, question you, starve you" she said, obviously starving. That made me think about my own hunger. I hadn't eaten anything in what seemed like ages and my stomach was beginning to rumble unhealthily, making my head spin dizzily. I was obviously seriously dehydrated as well.

"Test you? Like how?" I said. The voice had gradually edged its way closer to me and even though I desperately wanted to move away, vanish in a corner, and not speak again to prevent her from coming any closer, I started to edge towards the voice.

"They attach wires to your head and make you answer weird questions, they hook you up to a machine and make you recite the alphabet or numbers, and a whole lot more crazy stuff. I hate it here you know? I wanna go home" The girl was now sitting with me against a cold wall and a shiver went up my spine as I felt her breath on my cheek. I found myself shaking with fear, obviously terrified about being in this terrible establishment, and obviously frightened to death about the tests.

"When your time here comes to an end, they take you to a small room and..." the girl trailed off.

"The ultimate test" I whispered.

"They cut you up" the girl wacked her head against the wall, sobs coming from her mouth and her breaths more rapid. I could see the outline of her face slightly with the little light from the door. Her eyes were tired and her cheeks were slumped on her face. Her lips were cracked; dried blood showed at the edges, and her face was pale. I could see that even though it was dark.

"My times nearly up. They're gonna kill me"

"Oh god. Oh god. Oh god" I said under my breath.