Noise [Eighteen]

Heyyy. sorry it's been a while! i've been busy :(

You may wanna read the previous chapter to re-cap.

Thanks for sticking with this xD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

[Eighteen]

Kristen

“There’s too many of them, Esaki. I can barely speak in front of a class, let alone the whole academy”

“You’ll be fine, Kristen. You know what to do” I heard him whisper.

I stepped out vigilantly into the open cafeteria within the confines of the academy walls, where I had sat not half a year ago eating breakfast thinking nothing was wrong. I knew better now, and everybody else should too. We were here to inform them of what deplorable deeds were going on behind their backs. It was time for the people to get to know their government, and get to know them they would. The cafeteria was busy at this time with students coming and going from study halls, all with one thing on their mind – food. The hall was dimly lit and rugged in appearance and the floor terrazzo was stained, its tainted texture adding to the buildings severity.

I swore I would never return to this dank hellhole, but here I was.

“It looks like some sort of mental asylum” Esaki gestured at the windows. “Are they barred? Man, no wonder you left” I nodded in agreement. It was a while since I had had the almighty pleasure (Obvious sarcasm) of living within the mucky sodden walls of the academy, but I had barely stayed here a week before dashing so I didn’t remember it that clearly. The scenery clarified my initial feelings about this place, however, and I was more than glad to have left. The bare light bulbs swung hellishly from thin frayed chords that stuck chaotically out of the low ceiling, barely bright enough to be of any use. The windows, as Esaki had mentioned, were of course barred as to decease worries about potential runaways - worries that should be still clearly experienced due to my departure, however. The tables, where students were eating were most likely contaminated to the brink, and definitely not clean enough to eat upon. No wonder there were so many sickies pulled back in the day. The least the political bastards of our country could do is treat the cleaners with new maintenance equipment – or enough medical kits to keep the academy from being sued. Aralyn had said that the Mind reader academy was much more pleasant than this shit hole. Politicians were apparently choosey son of a bitches when it came to war soldiers. They preferred mind readers and Killers because they were clearly more useful, but coercionists and bouncers could do cool shit too, so why do we have to live in rat infested hell pits? I suddenly slipped on some chucked sauce and slid across the floor some way. Esaki grabbed me and stopped my slide, hurrying me on through the lunch queues and clusters of prattling teenagers.

I eyed the professors cautiously and callously as I approached the stand. They were paying little to no attention to those not in their direct eye line. ‘Big mistake’, I thought contentedly. Esaki walked two steps behind me, concentrating solely on the managers who sat at an exclusive table nearer the edge of the room. They would be the primary threat to us as they had a direct line to governmental departments of various natures. But now, as I reached the stand, it was all about me and what I was going to say. Some things are more complicated to weave into sentences than others. Telling a hall full of students my age and younger that their skill is literally hacked away from them if they so much as fail a mock test will be far from easy. I understood that it would be potential problematic. I would pick my words carefully and accumulate them charily in order to get my crucial point across.