Chapter 33: My Family's The Reason For My Stress

Start from the beginning

Grandma put a plate of French toast in front of me and said, “Why do I have a feeling that you have to warn us about something?”

I opened my mouth to answer, a nervous grin on my face when the bell rang.

The three of them looked at me with raised eyebrows. Okay, why do they have to naturally assume that the doorbell had something to do with me? I continued to stare back at them. Perhaps I should’ve made a better plan…

“Well?” mom prodded.

I gulped and then everything came gushing out. “Fabian’s-coming-over-for-breakfast-and-that-should-be-him-on-the-door-and-we-plan-to-watch-movies-today-here-and-I’m-really-really-sorry-for-not-warning-beforehand-but-I-was-myself-in-bed-when-I-just-remembered-that-I-had-invited-him-over-since-I-was-grounded-and-you-guys-won’t-let-me-”

“Wait, wait,” said grandpa cutting me off. “I didn’t understand a word you’ve just said but I guess you invited someone over and that person is probably on the door right now?”

I nodded eagerly and he sighed. He got up to open the door.

“Ellie, some warning would’ve been nice,” scolded mom. I opened my mouth to retort but she hastily added, “A little bit earlier.

Grandma shook her head. “It’s kind of expected, Jenny, since she is your daughter.”

“Mum, what is that supposed to mean?” mom gasped and turned to face her. Trust grandma to divert the attention from me in a matter of seconds and trust mom to fall for it every time.

“Nothing,” said grandma, nonchalantly leaning against the counter. “It just means that like mother like daughter.”

“You’re forgetting something, mum, that this applies to you, too.”

Grandma held up her hands. “You don’t get it from me; you get it from your pa’s side of the family.” Yeah, my grandma never got along with grandpa’s family and vice versa.

“Oh no, mum, I don’t get it from pa or his family at all. It’s all you!”

“Jenny-” grandma started to say a little hotly but I interrupted her before the little argument became into a full-fledged war.

“What’s it?” I asked, honestly curious.

Truth be told, I never found whatever it was that my mom and grandma were arguing about because at that moment Fabian and grandpa walked in.

“Hey, Lee” he smiled and kissed me on the cheek causing me to blush. What can I say? I just can’t get used to it. I don’t think I ever will get used to it. “So you left me to burn under the sun?” he whispered in my ear. To be honest, I had completely forgotten about it. But he looked okay- his skin was only a little red.

“Aw!” my mom and grandma cooed together.

“Hey, Jenny and Jeanette,” he smiled his trademark smirk at them. I swear they both just melted! I put a hand on my mouth to choke back the laughter.

Yeah, my mom’s name was Jenny and grandma’s name was Jeanette. Grandma’s mom’s name was Julie. And I swear if I wasn’t already named when I was dropped on my parents’ doorstep, they would’ve made me a part of the J-legacy. So not cool.

“Hello, Fabian,” smiled mom, her face full of adoration. Grandma’s expression mirrored hers and I automatically felt she was about to make a remark that would make me die of embarrassment so I hastily murmured, “Take a seat, Fabian.” I gestured to the empty seat beside me.