Chapter 1: Ellie

Alright, hey! First of all  HUGE THANKS to all my readers! I never knew my story would get this popular. When I started writing the latest rend was of Vampire/Romance/Humor and even though it wasn't my style, I decided to go ahead and try it. So, don't judge me. 

You've been warned. This was my first EVER story.

It's so silly to the point of being embarrassing but I love this story to bits.

I hope you do, too. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know about Romeo and Juliet, right? And, of course, how Romeo climbs Juliet's balcony. How romantic! Not.

Then you space out and dream about your Romeo. You wonder when he would show up and whisk you off your feet. Well... I wasn't one of them. Until recently that is.

Let me tell you my story. I was a completely normal fifteen year old who was obsessed with becoming a writer. I was lost in my own world, among characters that didn't even exist beyond my imagination. I was totally content.

But, that was before I met him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Go to bed, Ellie,” my mom groaned for the fifth.

“Okay, okay. Five more minutes,” I muttered, typing away furiously on my laptop.

“You said that ten minutes ago,” she said.

I ignored her and continued to type. I was in the middle of my plot, where the hero begins to figure out about his own strong-headed blindness.

“Ellie, listen to your mom,” my father spoke for the first time from the last twenty minutes. “Go and get some sleep. It’s highly important for your health. You need to sleep at least eight hours a day.” He didn’t take his eyes off his laptop as he typed.

I nodded absent-mindedly.

“Look at your face! It looks horrible,” my mom cried.

I paused to turn back and stare at my reflection in the mirror behind me. My dark brown hair was a mess and I had dark circles under my hazel eyes. My complexion was all waxy and dull and my face looked tired and haggard. I shrugged and went back to typing.

“Mom, it’s practically midnight, I couldn’t care less. Besides, who am I gonna show my face to?”

“Ellie,” said dad. He looked up from his laptop threateningly. I typed even faster, ignoring all my typing errors.

“Ellie.” This single word made me stop and look at him at once. He said my name like an order or something. My dad’s hair was all white now although he was only in his late forties but there was still a twinkle of good-humouredness in his eyes. It’s in our genes, my grandma used to say.

“Yeah, dad?”

“Turn off your laptop,” he said quietly.

“Aw, come on! Dad!” I whined.

“Now,” he ordered.

I nodded and typed like crazy. He sighed and said, “Do you want me to take away your laptop?”

“No!” I exclaimed. I immediately turned it off and picked it up in my arms.

“That’s better,” he said and resumed typing.

“Goodnight,” I muttered and stalked out my parents’ bedroom.

Once I was in my room, I put my laptop away and locked the closet just in case. It was getting pretty late, but it was a Friday and it was my tradition to stay up late and goof around today; though my parents never did understand my logic.

I jumped into bed and stared up at the ceiling. I realized that tonight was the last night I would ever sleep in my bedroom.

We were moving away tomorrow. My dad was shifting to California, but I, mom and Jase (my brother) would join him there after we finish our semester in this school. For the time being, we would stay at my mom’s mum’s house- my Grandma Josephine. So, we are gonna move there tomorrow.

I had a sudden pang in my heart- I would surely miss this place which was my home for the last six years. Although I hated being cooped up in our third floor apartment, but this place held many cherished memories for me.

I decided I should have one last look outside my balcony during the night before I leave this place for good.

I got up and walked into the lounge and then out the door of the balcony. A cool, gentle breeze blew and it ruffled my hair. It felt so good. I smiled as I looked up the half-moon shining brightly. I looked down fondly at the cars parked and then laughed out loud at a memory I just remembered. It was only a few months ago, during December, that my cousins had come to visit.

I and Maya had been in the balcony, looking through the various tubs for her missing sock. The laundry was hung to dry in the balcony. We saw a tub filled with water and underneath it was her sock. I always wondered how it got there.

So, using our combined strength, we managed to slide the tub a bit. But, the sock slid along it. After a few more tries, we finally decided to lift it up and put the tub somewhere else. It was so dam heavy that we began to sweat, even though it was winter. In the end we managed to lift it but we had lifted it with so much force that the water flew out it and… it accidently went outside the balcony. We threw the tub away and stared at each other in horror. Then we suddenly burst into an uncontrollable fit of giggles.

We ran inside to my room, and laughed hard at the sheer impossibility of what had just happened. But it had happened. And after a few minutes, an angry Mr. Thomas showed up, literally red in the face. We had actually thrown the dirty water onto his brand new car. What had happened afterwards wasn’t pretty.

I and Maya still laugh about it when we talk on the phone.

I sighed happily and gave the whole place one last glance. I turned around and walked into the lounge. I was about to lock the bolt when I heard a heavy thud.

 I turned around and paused in shock. My hand was on the dead- bolt but I couldn't bring mysellf to lock it- not that it would hold him back from charging in.
My stomach clenched and my brain reminded me to breathe, breathe, you idiot.Call for help; don't just stand there!

The message came across me and I finally opened my mouth to scream.