23

Trixie POV

My hand hovered over his door. This didn't have to be awkward. It didn't have to be gross and weird. But it 100% was going to be.

I knocked on the brown wooden door in front of me. I waited for a few seconds before it unlocked and opened, revealing Brian standing with his suitcase. "Hey." He says, coming out and closing the door behind him.

I furrow my eyebrows. I wasn't going to come in? We were leaving straight away? Normally i'd go in. Our flights at 11 and it's only 8:30.

Wait- am i thinking too much about this? Shit.

"Hi." I reply. We stand looking at each other. I had no idea where we would go from here. What do i say now? Do we just walk down to my car?

"So, hows Jo?" He asks, awkwardly playing with his suit case.

"She's fine. She's with... erm..."

"Shall we get going then?!" He quickly cuts me off, briskly walking out the apartment building. My car was right out front. He gently tosses his bag in the back seat next to mine.

He goes around the car to sit in the passenger seat. Before i jump into the drivers, i stop to think.

So, here i am with Brian. Brian, my ex boyfriend. Brian, my best friend. Before anything in the world he is my best friend. Things can't be awkward. I've lost him as a lover already and i refuse to lose him as a friend. I'm going to make things as normal as i can.

I sit in my seat and we both buckle our seatbelts. I start driving. I glance at Brian quickly as i do so. He was sitting casually on his phone.

"So," I begin, "How have you been?" My hands tap on the steering wheel. "Anything new? Any... one new?" I ask slowly and very awkwardly. I guess that was the most scary and weird thing coming out of this; hearing about new people.

I stop at a red light.

I turn to look at him only to see that he was staring at me. "No one new." He mumbles, looking down at his phone again.

Suddenly, Brian was a huge mystery to me. I've never not been able to know what he was thinking of what he was feeling. I've always understood him. I've always felt what he felt and empathised with him. But now, i don't know him at all. I suddenly don't know Brian at all.

"Me neither."

I didn't know him at all.

"Fuck, shit, fuck." I muttered under my breath as i looked at the reservation paper the very lovely lady at the reception had slid to me.

"Everything alright sir?" She asks me. I look behind the clipboard at her sitting behind her desk. I then turn to look at Brian behind me, lugging his bag.

"No." I lean in and whisper. She suddenly looked very alarmed and nervous. "We booked our rooms 2 months ago, right?" I start with my (hopefully) funny anecdote. "And well, this is kinda sad actually, 2 months ago me and him," I point at Brian slyly, "Were still together. Now, however, we are not and attempting to remain friends so us having the valentine suite doesn't really work."

Her face turned bright red about 20 seconds into my story, and she looked very sorry as she tapped away at her computer. "I'm sorry sir, but we have no 2 rooms available for the next 3 days. Only for tonight, or the 3rd night but none consecutively. We have a room available, but still it's only one. But we can provide 2 single beds instead of a king?"

I turn to look at Brian again and sigh. This was really my life, huh? "That's great. Thank you." She hands me a key card and wishes me a goodnight.

I take a deep breath as i turn to Brian, who was now sitting at a couch in the lobby. "I have food news and bad news." I mumble as i reach him. "Which would you like first?"

He groans. "Good."

"We have two single beds."

His eyes widen. "Bad?"

"I booked the Valentine suite as a surprise a couple months back... you know to be romantic. And i kinda forgot that i did that and didn't change it. So now the best they can do is give up one room with two beds." I explain very quickly.

"You booked it as a surprise?" He says happily. I look at him, his smile drops very quickly.

I try to hide my growing grin, but i just couldn't. "Yeah," i look down at my hands, "I did."

I look at the key card, it said room 108. I grabbed my bag and he grabbed his and we made our way there. "I haven't gotten dressed in drag in ages." I said as i slide the card over the handle and opened the door to our room. "The last time was probably-" I quickly stopped myself. The last time was the time as that event where i publicly proclaimed my love.

I think he also realised because he didn't question on my abrupt stop mid sentence.

I stand in the middle of the room, staring at it. It was big room. Very nice. But i couldn't help analyse the two beds. It was so weird. Even before we were together, what had happened would never have been a problem. We would've been able to share a bed. Now we can't because we aren't just friends, remember, we are now exes.

And it was fucking shit.