5

Jo POV

I closed the door of my room and, for the first time in my whole life, locked it. I turned the lock and walked to my bed. I needed to be alone right now. I sit on my bed and fall on my back.

The day i came here, I thought i was coming to live with an amazing couple. Two men who loved each other more than their own lives; and it is like that- it was like that. For so long.

I hadn't met Uncle Brian until my first Christmas here, 2 months into my new life. Both my dads said they wanted to ease everyone into my life easily. I remember exactly how i met him and how he introduced himself and how i felt and what we did.

Christmas dinner started at 6, Dads said they held the Christmas party for their - i mean our family and friends every year. This excited me as an 8 year old. I really wanted to meet everyone they knew. I'd met my new grandparents before, of course, and my aunts and uncles but never a friend of theirs.

When the door knocked at 4:30 i was confused because I was pretty sure they said the party started at 6.

I was sitting watching TV while they both cooked in the kitchen. I had the volume on 100 because they were listening to music, singing along and kissing loudly as the cooked. The doorbell rang but i don't think my parents heard it. I jumped off the sofa and toddled towards the door- well i didn't toddle. I was 8 not 3. I walked towards the door and opened it. I saw in front of my a pair of legs. My head bent upwards until my eyes met the eyes of a strange man i did not know. I didn't speak, i just stared. He did the same.

"Hello." He finally said.

"Hi." I replied.

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Jo?"

"How do you know my name?" I was taken aback, was he a magician? A mind reader?

"I'm your father's friend. Bestest friend." He said, smiling. "Can i come in?"

I didn't let him in, i had questions to ask yet. "His bestest friend?" I questioned. I hadn't met a bestest friend yet. "Wait!" I gasped, "which daddy?"

He laughed. "The bald one."

"Brian." I said.

"Yes, Brian. You're very confident for a 7 year old." He bent down to reach my height.

"I'm 8." I looked him in his eyes. "You can come in now. I like you."

"Thank you." He came in and hung his coat and scarf on the tall rack by the door. "Where are your fathers?" He asked me. "Wow it smells good." He added.

"They're dancing and being funny in the kitchen. Are you here for the party? Because you're really early. I haven't even gotten ready yet." I bit my lip, "Can you braid hair?" I asked.

"I can." He nodded.

"Can you braid my hair?" I said, leaning my head to the side. "What's your name?"

"Brian."

I gasped. "Daddy's name!"

He nodded. "I'll braid your hair."

He was my favourite person in the whole world from the day i met him. He braided my hair so well and i loved it. I loved him. He's kinda both mine and Dads best friend.

I was an attentive 8 year old. I noticed things; they didn't make sense to me but i noticed them.

At the Christmas party, there was one thing that stood out over everything that happened that night.

My dads came into the living room maybe an hour into Brian's being here. In that time he braided my hair and put lip gloss on me and chosen my green dress over the orange one i had also wanted to wear.