We're... Friends? // Harry Holland

Start from the beginning

-

"He's going on another date?" You groaned, dropping yourself on the couch. Sam frowned at you, pausing his game of FIFA and looking at you, nodding. "He's so irritating." He laughed at you this time, handing you the second controller, and you happily appreciated the distraction.

"How do I look?" You looked up, seeing Harry in a white button-up with his sleeves rolled up to his elbows, along with a pair of dark washed jeans. You blinked a few times, trying to process how good he looked. "Does that mean I... look okay?"

"Uh," you shook your head, your gaze falling back onto the TV, shrugging, "you look fine, yeah."

"You guys on a date or something?" Sam laughed out loud, with you looking at him confused. "Oh, come on," Harry scoffed, walking toward the door to pick up his keys, "I'm not stupid. You guys have been spending more time together."

"Oh, god," Sam looked just as confused as you were now, "you're serious?" Harry shrugged. "We're not... dating. We're friends."

"Whatever, I don't care if you're dating or not."

"What the hell is your problem?" You tried to get Sam to sit down, not wanting them to argue, but he pulled his hand out of your grip. "You're right, you shouldn't care, if we were – you have a girlfriend. Don't be a dick about it." Sam walked past his brother, shoving his shoulder with his as he walked out of the room.

"What's up with him?"

"What's up with him?" You asked in disbelief. "What's wrong with you?" Harry looked at you confused, to which you rolled your eyes, walking up to him with your arms crossed. "If it doesn't bother you that Sam and I are hanging out, why does it sound like it does? It's not like you hang out with me anymore."

"What's that mean?"

"I'm not speaking in Morse code, Harry. Ever since you got a girlfriend, I'm second-best. It's annoying." Harry frowned at me, trying to grab my hand. "No! God, no! You don't get it, you can't just fix this with 'I'm sorry', it isn't good enough."

"Babe, I'm so-," he stopped short, seeing the hard look on your face. "Well, what do you want me to say?" His hands came up, pulling at the ends of his hair. "It's not like we're dating. I don't have to hang out with you twenty-four, seven!"

"We aren't dating because you're an oblivious asshole!" Harry visibly shrunk, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Wha-"

"Oh, come on, Harry! You're really gonna act like I haven't liked you since we met? You kissed me at your birthday party, I mean I guess we were drunk, but still! You hold my hand, you take me on 'dates', for fuck's sake, you bought me a necklace with your initial on it! You're my boyfriend, just without the damn benefits." Harry's eyes widened, your sudden outburst shocking him.

Your chest heaved up and down, registering what you had just said. "Darling," Harry whispered, but you shook your head, walking away. "Babe, please, wait," before either of you could say anything, the doorbell rang. "Please, just – wait, can you please just wait in my room?" You looked at the conflicted look in his eyes. You didn't want to ruin your friendship with Harry, you felt a hundred times better just knowing that he knew how you felt. So, you nodded. Harry sighed in relief as he watched you disappear in the direction of his room.

He walked up to the door, opening it and seeing his girlfriend standing there. He blocked her from walking in, a smile on his face.

"Hey," she gave him a confused look, "you ready?" He looked at her, a pained smile on his face. "What's wrong?"

"I, uh," he brought a hand up to scratch the back of his neck, "I don't think this is working out." He avoided her gaze, not able to look her in the eyes. "It's just... I – I'm not ready to be in a relationship right now." He was lying through his teeth. He was ready, he was just ready for someone else – for you. The girl in front of him laughed with no humor, shaking her head.

"Yeah, well, you could've spared me a drive here, Harry." He opened his mouth to say sorry, but her hand came up, "Don't. Just... don't." She shook her head, looking him over one more time before turning around and retreating to her car. Harry thought he'd feel bad but, thinking of you waiting in his room, he didn't. He shut the door, turning around to walk toward his room but stopping when he saw you behind him.

"Did you just break up with her?" Harry couldn't say anything so, he shrugged.

"She wasn't my type," he walked over to you, his hands itching to touch you. "We didn't have much in common. And, I didn't ask for her number, she gave it to me. I wasn't gonna call her, really, I wasn't, but, then I saw you with Sam, and I knew – well, thought, that you didn't like me." You looked at him, not saying anything. "I wasn't drunk when I kissed you, by the way. I only had, like, two beers that night. You weren't either – you had one."

"Harry, I didn't want to make you feel guilty."

"I don't feel guilty. I feel stupid." You didn't say anything, letting him walk closer to you. "I should've told you how I felt that day I saw you dive into the river for your camera after you dropped it." You groaned, covering your face with your hands. He laughed quietly, reaching his hands out and pulling yours away from your face. You looked at him, smiling.

"You promised you wouldn't bring that up!" You two laughed, and this time you let him grab your hand. His free hand came up to cup your face, forcing you to look at him. "Harry-"

"I really want to kiss you." You smiled.

"Well, I really want you to kiss me."

"Oh, my god, shut up and kiss!" You and Harry looked toward Sam's room, laughing lightly. You felt Harry's hands grab your face, pulling you toward him and kissing you. "You guys not talking means you're kissing. Finally." Harry groaned, pulling away slightly.

"Shut up, Sam!" You laughed, slipping your fingers through his hair and pulling him toward you again, kissing him much softer this time.