An Admirer // Sam Holland

By Hufflepuffholland on Tumblr

Pairing: Sam Holland x Reader

Warnings: None!

-

You glanced around the rows that were close to you, trying to see if you can catch whoever had left this book here. You glanced at the cover quickly before flipping through the book and, you almost missed it but, there it was. The receipt for the book. Somehow, it made you feel worse. Someone bought a book they liked and accidentally left it behind. They weren't going to enjoy the book they wanted unless they bought it again. You almost walked it up to the register until your eyes picked up on the chicken scratch writing on the bottom of the paper—it was clearly written in a hurry. But, it was still legible.

hi, i left this book here for you (we'd caught each other's eye quite a few times today. hope i wasn't imagining it). hope you like this one. maybe i'll see you here again next tuesday, at 3. -an admirer

You smiled softly, knowing exactly who it was that left it here. You picked it up, putting the book you were going to buy, down. You pulled out your phone and typed out a reminder to come back next tuesday, at three o'clock, with a book in mind to buy. Then, you stuffed the book into your small shoulder bag and walked back to your friend who had been waiting for you, simply nodding your head when she asked if you found what you came for.

Soon enough, it was Tuesday again. You glanced at the book in your hands as you paced up and down the Scientific Fiction aisle and glanced at the time. It was nearing half past three and you were nervous. Did he forget? Maybe he wasn't being literal. Maybe he just—

And then, you saw him clumsily jog in through the front doors, running a ran through his hair. He looked up, seeing you leaning against the balcony on the second floor, looking at him. He smiled widely at you, then he bolted toward the escalator. You frantically moved down the aisle, placing the book on an almost empty shelf, laying flat so it stuck out, and then darted toward the other end - you weren't ready to talk to him yet.

You watched as he glanced in every direction, walking up and down every aisle titled 'Scientific Fiction' three times before giving up, going over to pick up the book. Sure enough, you'd written something for him, too.

sorry i ran away (assuming i chickened out—i know myself pretty well), but hopefully this makes up for it.

He smiled down at the small receipt, reading the back of the book while walking toward the front door; his break was almost over, but he still found his eyes wandering around the book store, in hopes of seeing you just for a quick second.

Once you'd seen him land on the first floor again, you whistled from the second, causing him to turn around. You smiled, waving at him. He looked at you a little longer than he intended, but he smiled back and nodded toward you, holding up the book you'd bought for him.

You and him had seen each other in there for the past four months, but the only interaction you'd had was when he bought you that book, and then you two made that your thing for well over two months. And then, it shifted.

It was your turn to receive a book. You walked over to the genre he told you to check for in his previous "note", and then opened the book to read the receipt—it was blank. Your eyebrows furrowed. Had he grown tired? Who wants to spend this money on a stranger? You sighed, putting the book in your bag and about to walk away when a hand came out to touch your shoulder. You turned around, seeing a lot of brown, untamed hair that matched a set of wide brown eyes. You'd never seen them up close before, but they were exactly like what you saw when you closed yours.

"Hi, I forgot a pen today. So, here's your message in person: I'm Sam. Sam Holland. I hope you're not disappointed." He looked at you, and he seemed a lot more innocent than you remembered. He smiled softly at you when he noticed you trying to take in his appearance, so he decided to do the same.

"Sam... Sam, I like that name. I'm Y/N." You stick your hand out, which he took, bringing it up to his lips to kiss the back of it. You two had known of each other for six months, having shared intimate insights to each other—your favorite books. He didn't consider the move bold.

"Nice to finally meet you."