95) cicatrix

cic•a•trix

noun

the scar of a healed wound

a scar on the bark of a tree

noun, botany

a mark on a stem left after a leaf or other part has become detached

•♦•

I'm not sure this word has much use in daily conversation or even writing, but I think it could be very interesting in a fantasy story or something similar.

I like the tension of healing in a story, and I think scars are a very applicable, straight-forward symbol for that. The healing process is often uncomfortable and straining, which is why it's such a topic of discussion in literary works. But when you're healed, when you've learned from your experience, you walk away stronger. You can take those last two sentences and apply them to physical scars, to actual skin, and it works just as well.

One of the things I love about fantastical stories is their ability to take on these obscure words, sometimes words in other languages. This often takes the form of fictional terminology or titles. For examples, think of Harry Potter (spells, muggles, etc.), and The Mortal Instruments (runes, iratze, etc.). Anyway, I think this word is another example of a word that could be used in an unconventional way in fiction.

•♦•

Written:  1.23.2018

Posted:  2.3.2018