Chapter 23

Third person POV

"That's it? " Evelyn asked her friend looking at her list for the third time.
# movies
# gifts
# date
# picnic

"I'm not done with it but what's wrong with it? " she asked with a frown.
"I was expecting something spectacular, you almost made me deaf "
"Oh yeah like what? Mountain climbing? " Emily retorted with a snort.
Eve laughed
"I wonder what he's gonna get me " she said dreamingly.
"You already told him? "
"Uh huh. I couldn't contain the excitement. "
Eve still didn't understand what was so exciting about it.
"But what are you going to get him? "
Emily scratched her eyebrows.
"I really don't know. Maybe....oh yes!  Why don't you ask your mate about the things Ollie likes, I gather they have been friends since childhood "
"I'll try, but what if Oliver asks me about the things you like? "
"I don't know, tell him something meaningful. I want it to be a surprise "
"if you say so "
"Are you planning on telling Adonis too? I saw him earlier today, he seemed to be in high spirits " Emily asked with a serious expression on her face.
Ever since the first plan of burning her friend's room succeeded, Oliver persuaded her to quit and allow them settle their differences since they now share a room. She burst into laughter when Oliver returned to their room to tell her the funny event that took place in Adonis' office when she called him boobs, the dude deserved more. But she still  wished she could do more than just listen.
"I will, maybe tonight " she said feeling a bit hopeful.

Evelyn's POV

I was on my way to our room still contemplating on what gift to get him.
I opened the door to see an array of travelling bags.
"What the.... "
Is he moving out?
"Oh there you are? " he exclaimed coming out of the closet carrying a bunch of clothes.
"I really need you to help me with something. There's this document in a red file, it's kind of messy so I need you to help me arrange it" he said massaging the nape of his neck.
"I'm off duty remember? "
"You can do it tomorrow, I can wait "
"Going somewhere? "
"Yeah, I'm leaving for Hawaii tomorrow evening "
I felt like all the air in my lungs have been knocked out.
"What? "
"I'm finally taking a break, I plan on staying there for two weeks. You know, I've always wanted to go there as a kid and now is my opportunity. " he continued, grinning like an idiot.
All hopes of Valentine's Day crumbled. I looked at him forcing myself not to cry
"Well, enjoy your vacay. I heard the place is nice " I said maintaining a firm voice.
"Oh I will, thanks. Now the document, will you help me with it? "
"Sure " I assured walking to the bathroom.

"Thanks for the help " Adonis said as he settled in to sleep.
I nodded my head in reply. I was so hurt that my Valentine's Day plans had crashed,
so angry that he was so ignorant and stupid not to discover that he was leaving on Valentine's Day,
so jealous and disappointed that he was going alone, but I spent the entire day with him, helping him pack up his stuff with a fake smile plastered on my face, vowing not to let him know how much his vacation plans are hurting me.
"Oh! " I exclaimed as I remembered Oliver. "I have a question "
"How many? " he asked nonchalantly.
I swallowed my razor sharp reply, I have to this for Emily.
"Two or three" I answered with a frown.
"All ears "
"For how long have you been friends with Oliver? "
"Birth " he replied curtly.
"Do you have any idea of the things he likes "
He turned to me with a questioning look.
"May I ask why you want to know? "
"Emily wants to buy him a gift "
"Is his birthday coming up or what? " he asked plucking his eyelashes.
"No, she just wants to get him something " I lied.
"Nice, well.. " he started supporting his head with his right elbow. "I.. Uh.. Well, I don't know "
His facial expression was serious.
"You really don't know " I asked in disbelief.
"I've never asked him about it "
"Well, has he ever mentioned that he wanted something, but couldn't get it? " I inquired determined to give Emily a positive answer.
He scratched his damp hair in thought.
"I remember him saying something about his favorite blazer getting damaged. He wanted to buy another one "
"When? " I asked getting excited.
"Last week "
"Did he describe the blazer? "
"Nope "
"Why didn't he buy another one it? "
"Sixth and last question. Because I don't know. Good night Evelyn " he said turning around and pulling the covers over his head.
Phew! At least, I achieved my goal.
"Wait, one more thing "
"Talk to the hand" he mumbled sticking out his hand from the cover.
"Please don't tell Oliver about this, it's meant to be a surprise "
"I cross my heart and I hope to live " he replied taking back his hand.
"It's I hope to die. "
"Whatever "
"I'm serious, please don't tell him "
"Stop talking already, I have a flight to catch tomorrow "
My initial sadness returned as he mentioned those words.
"You are right, sleep well, may you forget to pack up something important and may all your bags get missing at the airport " I retorted acidly, grabbing my own share of the cover and throwing it over my head.
"You wish"