Chapter 4

"You can do better than that. I don't want you to lose so easily."
Nick and I were racing each other, he was leading.
"Am I too fast for you? " he continued, boosting his ego.
The problem was not his speed, the thing was that I woke up with pains in my joints and it was getting worse by each passing time.
I stopped running, not able to endure it anymore.
"What's wrong? " Nick asked when he noticed that I had stopped.
"I woke up with pains this morning and it doesn't want to stop" Sweat was forming on my forehead.
"Did you tell the pack doctor about it? " he asked walking to me 
"No, I thought it was as a result of my bad sleeping position last night or something like that "
And I also hate going to the hospital.
"Do you think you can walk back to the pack house? "
"I think so. "
"Let's go back, maybe we can figure out what is wrong with you " he suggested and I nodded.

It got unbearable as I entered my room.
"How bad is it ?" he asked as I hit the bed.
We only met Evelyn at the house. The alpha and his beta were at a meeting, the Luna went shopping while Eve was doing a manicure.
"Like my bones are separating "
I groaned.
"if that's the case, I think you are about your wolf Lil bro. I felt the same way when I first met my my wolf."
"Then what the hell am I supposed to do? " My voice was coarse.
"I don't know. Dad helped me during mine "he said scratching the back of his neck. "Let me go get help " he left the room.
I writhed in pain closing my eyes and bit down on my lower lip to stop me from crying out.

He returned moments later with Evelyn.
"Seriously? "
Is this a joke of some sort.
"There was no one else and besides, she was there when Dad helped me. She should have an idea of what to do"
"What the hell am I supposed to do? " I asked looking at Evelyn.
"Get down from the bed" she commanded, checking out her fingers.
I did. I slid down the bed landing on my butt.
"Yes? " Nick asked.
"Bro the thing is that Dad didn't actually do anything. He was just watching you " she said shrugging.
"What?!" I and Nick screamed in unison.
"Evelyn please I beg of you, I really need help " I begged, groaning.
"I'm serious " The look on her face said the same thing.
Oh shit!
"Arrgh" I screamed.
"He's shifting "
I felt the painful rearrangement of all my bones. It was as if a strong wind passed through my body. Finally, my clothes ripped off and judging by the expression on their faces, I knew I had transformed.
"You're huge " Nick said grinning.
I was still on the floor.
"Good looking too " Evelyn chipped in.
I wanted to see how I looked like, but I was feeling dizzy. I was totally exhausted from the whole thing.
"Try standing " he suggested.
"I'm tired. I want to shift back " I said. I don't even know if he heard me, but I closed my eyes and laid my head on the floor.

I woke up later feeling better. looking at my alarm clock, I discovered it was already time for dinner.
Was I asleep for that long?
I decided to go find Nick. I pulled off the covers and realized that I was fully dressed.
Weird
I don't remember changing my clothes. I shrugged and left my room.
He wasn't there so I went to the dinning room downstairs.
"Sleeping beauty has decided to grace us with his presence " Evelyn said as soon as I entered.
I ignored her and greeted the alpha and his mate and they nodded. I bet Nick told them what happened. The beta was nowhere to be found.
I then took the seat the seat between Nick and Evelyn.
"Tell me. Did Prince Charming kiss you or was it just the aroma of food that woke your lazy bones up? " she continued, sarcasm dripping from her every word.
"Why don't you just shut up? " Nick said, dropping his fork.
"Or what? "
"Young lady, I've had enough of your nonsense " the alpha said, standing up. The Luna quickly held his arm trying to calm him down.
"I don't care! No one in this damn house cares about me! "
"Language Evelyn " The Luna scolded.
"Even you mother, I'm disappointed in you! " she screamed and ran upstairs.
"Whoa what just happened?!"
The voice seemed to come from my head.
My wolf?
"We don't want them quarreling because of us "
I had to agree with him.
The alpha was pinching the bridge of his nose.
"Let me speak with her " I offered.
The Luna nodded, but Nick shook his head.
"That's not a good idea " he said.
"I'll see you guys tomorrow " the alpha announced standing up.
"Me too. Goodnight "the  Luna said. She turned to me "She is stubborn, I hope she listens to you. She has never answered to anyone "
I nodded and they left the room.
"you coming with me? " I asked Nick.
"Nope. I'll be down here to to catch you in case she throws you down "

I stood in front of her door.
"Don't say I didn't warn you! " Nick's voice rang from downstairs.
I knocked twice and she opened the door.
Suddenly, the scent of vanilla and the aroma of a freshly baked pie hit my nose.
Mate!!  My wolf screamed.
"What?!" I asked him not believing what he said.
"I should be the one asking that question " Evelyn said,  bringing me back to reality.
"I want to talk to you " I started, clearing my throat.
"I'm all ears "
"I am aware that you hate me, but what you did downstairs was wrong? The way you spoke to your Dad ...."
"You mean 'your' Dad " she interrupted.
"Pardon?" I asked, not sure where the conversation was heading to.
"Wanna play saint now? Ever since you stepped your stepped your stinking foot inside this house, you've been nothing but a nuisance to me. You took my parents' love away from me. "
"Evelyn ..."
" Let me finish! You even took my brother's love away from me. You made him beat up my boyfriend. You are annoying, who knows whether that's the reason your parents left you so early because they couldn't take anymore"
I felt like I had just been slapped.
"and next you think of shifting in public, make sure you warn those around so that they don't get an eyeful of an unwanted scene. You make me sick" she finished, slamming the door in my face.
I felt something in me die. My blood ran cold.
I couldn't move. Her words kept repeating itself in my head. I've never felt so insulted and embarrassed in my life.

I managed to make it downstairs, Nick was still waiting for me.
"Did she throw you out? " he asked, grinning.
I couldn't even reply.
He was peering into my eyes and I looked away.
"What's wrong? " he asked, coming closer.
I really didn't want to tell him
"Let's run "  my wolf suggested.
"Nothing, Let's run. " I told Nick,  managing a smile and I headed for the door.

******************************

Hey guys 🙋
Whew! Done with another chapter.
I know some of you already hate Evelyn.
Have you ever been hurt by someone you wished well.
Shit happens
Let's see how he deals with it.
Don't forget to vote and comment
💆😘
Ella