Chapter Forty-four

(A/N) There is a The Fault In Our Stars reference in here, so sorry if you don't get it. Just... read The Fault In Our Stars. PLEASE. ITS GOOD. YOU WILL CRY. OKAY BYE.

I was awoke by the slam of the door. My alarm clock read 5:17 PM. I looked next to me on the bed, releaved Will was still next to me, but a little worried about the fact both of us were shirtless. And the fact that we might have a few hickies across our collarbone, neck, and chest.

Will was still asleep, so I draped the cover over his chest, then threw a shirt over myself. Mom would freak out if she saw how many red-ish dark spots I had.

"Nico, you look tired," she noticed as she saw me coming down the stairs.

Mom, I started to sign as fast as possible, Will's house isn't a safe place for him.

"What do you mean?" My mom smiled as if I was about to tell the punch line to a joke.

I mean that his mom has started to get physical with her punishments and he needs to stay here.

Mom looked me dead in the eyes, "Let me talk to Will."

He's asleep, I tried to tell her, but she didn't look at me. Instead, I followed her up to my room.

Please, dear Lord, do not allow my mother to take the covers off of Will, I prayed silently. I wasn't Christian, but I believed there was some powerful being out there that'll hear me,

My prayer was answered when we walked in to Will sitting upright in the bed, reading. He had put on my MCR shirt that was two sizes too big for me.

My mom marched right next to Will, sat down on the bed, took his hands into both of hers. Then, in the most caring voice, she commanded, "Tell me everything."

Will hesitated a lot while telling the story. I kind of felt bad about it after seeing how uncomfortable Will looked. It was better than him living with her, though.

Once he was done, I expected my mom to hesitate on her answer and consider the cons of having another child here. But she answered as soon as the final words left Will's mouth.

"Nico, you better make room for Will."

We get to keep him? I was in disbelief for a moment, until I remembered the reason we got to keep him.

"I'm not some homeless puppy, Neeks," Will said, pulling me up against him on the bed.

Shush, don't ruin the moment.

Will and my mother smiled, but me, I was beaming. I probably looked like the sun exploding on top of a volcano. Which would be bright.

"Alright, since that's settled," Mom headed towards the bedroom door, "I have some legal issues of domestic violence to deal with. Also, buying prostitutes is illegal, so I should probably deal with that."

"I'm cool with that," Will said while I snuggled my head into his shoulder. All Will wanted was a stable life, that wasn't very hard to see.

Mom left the room, leaving Will and I alone. Will looked at me, his sky blue eyes dazzling me. But beyond the beauty was worry. He was definitely a little unsure about staying here.

I care, I signed, trying to calm him.

"I care," Will repeated. "Is that going to be our 'Okay'?"

The Fault In Our Stars? You read that?

"I love that book."

Well, I guess it is.

Will smiled at me, his eyes flying all over my face. I was focusing on his arms, noticing that the bruises were fading.

I pushed Will into a laying position on the bed, and wrapped my arms around his neck. There was a twelve centimeter gap between our heads.

I decided to close it. It was a nice feeling, his lips on mine. Even if we were both too tired to actually kiss. Just the feeling of his lips was great. Soft, smooth, with his breath smelling like mints again.

I knew everything was going to be fine. Will was safe, I was safe, voice cracks were becoming more frequent, meaning I might be able to talk once before I die.

Everything was going to be fine.

"I care," Will said, his eyes closed and breathing deep. "I care so much."