Chapter Four

I tried to give Connor a reassuring smile, but I think it just looked like a person showing their teeth for the dentist.

So I ditched the smile and gave him a small nod.

"So, you can't talk?" Connor asked awkwardly. His hand was placed on the back of his neck, rubbing up and down in uncertainty.

Why did this always happen? As soon as I tell someone the situation automatically becomes awkward.

I shook my head 'no.'

"Well, I should... uh... get going," Connor said as he ran to a bus that just pulled up. I was pretty sure that wasn't even his bus, but you do you, Connor.

Maybe he'll be better tomorrow? It's a lot of information to process, never being able to talk to a person. Well, not a lot, but it's a real game changer.

Right at that moment, my bus pulled up. Time to endure the trip home. I prepared myself for loud screaming, papers flying, and sweaty teenagers overcrowding the already too-small bus.

The bus ride was uneventful. All I did was sit and stare at the window, listen to other people's voice which sounded like the most beautiful song, and tried to avoid opening my mouth.

Most people say their voice is strange, weird, or ugly for some reason. Not to me, all voices sound wonderful. Everyone should use their voice to it's full potential, except Donald Trump, of course. His voice sounds the same if a landfill had a sound.

The bus stopped by my house, so I got off. Not alone, though.

A person who hadn't been on the bus this morning was getting off with me. I stared at his golden hair, shining blue eyes, and his light freckles scattered across his cheeks.

I've seen him two other times today, I swear. They were only a few quick glances, though. I wasn't able to take in as many details as I did now.

"Uh, hi," the boy said. Damn, he was a snack.

He'd been watching me stare at him.

Was he not that woman-magnet named Will? I don't have that good of a memory, but I'm pretty sure he was. I blushed and focused my eyes on the ground.

The ground couldn't watch me stare at it, thankfully. I'd already done enough awkward staring for today.

"Um... I'm Will Solace," the other boy said, holding out his hand to me.

Should I take it? If I did, he'd expect a vocal response from me, right? So would it be best to walk away?

I tapped his hand and ran away.

Worst fail ever. No, I didn't grip his hand like I should. I just - boop - tapped it. And then ran off.

Heck, Will probably thinks there's something wrong with me. Like I was some weird, awkward person who has nothing better to do than stare at people for an uncomfortable amount of time.

I ran all the way to my house in the little cul-de-sac I lived in.

Don't think about what happened, I told myself. It already happened. Just don't think about it too much and you'll be fine.

Yeah, right. Another side of my brain was talking now. He thinks you're a silent creep who likes to go around touching people's hands.

But that's a stupid assumption! The other side of my brain argued.

I decided to not think and run. I'd like to say I was a pretty decent runner when the moment called for it.

Once I got to the door, I knew I was at peace. Mom would be in the kitchen with cookies or something. Bianca would be in her room. Everything would be chill.

Bianca, my sister, went to an all-girls school called Artemis Academy. She seems to fit in well there, so I'm fine with it. I just want her happy. I'm pretty sure she wants the exact same thing for me, too.

Younger me would be whining and complaining that my sister wasn't with me at all hours of the day. I'm okay now with whatever makes her smile, though.

I set my bookbag down in the doorway like the messy person I was. I'll probably com's back for it later.

"Nico?" My mom called. I tapped twice on the wall, indicating it's me. Mom told me to do that every day when I get home from school. Normally I forget though.

"There's some smoothies in here if you'd like some!" She called.

I ran into the kitchen. I wanted first pick before Bianca could hear the news. We always fought over certain flavors like mango, kiwi, and dragon fruit. That's why mom always made each our own favorites, mine being pomegranate and hers being strawberry.

My mother laughed as she saw me race in. "Don't worry, Bianca didn't touch the pomegranate one."

A tear of joy almost slipped out of my eye. Pomegranate smoothie was the absolute best. It was like angel feathers and a Bob Ross painting blended to absolute perfection.

I took a huge sip of the smoothie.

The brain freeze was worth the amazing taste that now coated my tongue.

I closed my eyes as I let the flavors settle in, savoring every moment. When I opened my eyes again, my mother was smiling at me. "Now, how was your first day?"

I wasn't exactly excited when I took out a pen and paper, writing the one sentence that'll explain everything.