Another Life

112 years ago to the day...

Lights shimmered, mirroring angels on the ceiling of the Mikaelson mansion, it was the yearly party that was becoming legend in the city of New Orleans, every year since Lena had none Rebekah and the rest of the Mikaelsons' she and her brothers would attend the ball, they were all one big undead family, a family of vampires. Only in the past few years Klaus had become mad, obsessed with finding a way to create more hybrids, and he was looking for his first vampire guinea pig, so lets just say he wouldn't be attending this particular family held event. 

The music itself lit up the huge mansion with happiness and content, as guest after guest entered the mansion until almost the whole population of New Orleans were inside, Lena in her beautiful red ball gown made her way around the dance floor, smiling her hello to everyone she made eye contact with, her brothers had already started talking to random women that had turned up to the event, of course. Rebekah was fantasising over whatever romance she had flung herself into this time, and as for Elijah he was keeping an eye on everyone just like he always did. 

Lena swept around the dance floor trying to find her love in the crowded mansion, and thats when she saw her, talking to some upstanding citizens in a corner of the main room, Lena's heart flipped when she made eye contact with those, deep, kind, brown eyes that could melt butter. This was the longest and truest relationship Lena had had, and as she looked closer she could see the woman of her dreams was wearing the dress she had bought her for this special occasion, a beautiful black, skin tight dress, that made her figure pop. 

There was a lot more to tonight than the yearly Mikaelsons' party, tonight was the night that Lena was going to propose to her girlfriend. Of course Lena knew that this was illegal but all she had to do was compel a couple of priests and she would be a married woman. Lena waltzed over behind her girlfriend, tapping her gently on the shoulder. 

"Could I have the pleasure of having this dance Miss Arias?" Lena asked, a content smile on her lips, before even waiting for an answer Lena dragged her beloved girlfriend out onto the dance floor in a strong twirl of her arms. Reign giggled as Lena picked her up in a spin before lowering her back gently to the safety of the ground. 

"I never would have guessed that I would fall in love with a vampire" Reign muttered as she caressed Lena's cheeks lovingly, the smile not fading once from her face, Lena blushed slightly, still unable to believe that someone as beautiful as Reign would ever truly fall for her. 

"And I never would have guessed that I would fall in love with a witch" Lena replied raising an eyebrow that she full well knew Reign could not resist as she pulled her in for a quick kiss in the crowded room, before the pair started dancing again to yet another slow song that began to play. 

Suddenly the mansion door was flung off its hinges as the lights on the ceiling started to rattle with force, and at the doorway stood Klaus, covered in blood that did not belong to him, the whole room fell silent as he walked into the main room, an evil smile, which seemed to be his only one, plastered to his face. 

"Niklaus what are you doing here?" Elijah shouted from across the room, he was standing just behind Lena and Reign, confused at to why his brother should return, unless he had completed his task in creating a new race of Hybrid. 

"I have come to collect the first vampire who will get the honour of becoming my first fellow Hybrid, brother!" Klaus shouted back, making stern eye contact with Lena, and in that moment she knew what was coming next would not be good, and no one would be able to stop the great Klaus, after all he was a Hybrid, stronger than everyone in that mansion. "Lena its your lucky day!" Klaus shouted, pointing straight at the brunette who gulped loudly, "Come with me and no one needs to die today!" He shouted again, Lena said nothing, she grabbed hold of Reigns hand, trying to work out if she could outrun Klaus, but before she could decide on her next move Klaus used his Hybrid super speed to jump forward and grab Reign away from Lena's hold, he was now holding her firmly by the shoulders, his fingers squeezing around her neck, threatening to snap it.  

"Stop it Klaus! Don't hurt her! Please!" Lena pleaded, knowing in this rage he would do anything, and have no regrets about any of it. He pressed a little harder at Reigns neck until she was struggling to breath, her face turning red as the veins under her skin began to burst with the pressure. 

"All you need to do is come with me and I wont hurt anyone" Klaus teased, a serious look taking over his face, Lena didn't hesitate as she nodded her head in submission, accepting her fate, whatever that may be. "Say the words Lena!" Klaus roared growing impatient as Reign grasped for air, suffocating in his hands. 

"I'll come with you, I'll do anything you want, just please don't hurt her Klaus! Please!" Lena cried out hysterically as she saw the life slowly draining from Reigns eyes, killing her. Klaus let go of Reign, a smile on his face once more. 

"Next time decide quicker" Klaus growled before in one swift movement he spun Reigns neck around on itself and everyone in the silent room heard the crack of the bone, and the quick thump as Reigns body fell to the ground, lifeless, he had snapped her neck in two, Klaus had killed the love of Lena's life, he had killed Reign. Lena ran over to where Reigns body lay, she fell to her knees, crying hysterically, praying she would just wake up, that all of this was a dream, but it wasn't, this was reality. "Leave with me now or so help me the next dead bodied on this floor will be that of your brothers!" Klaus shouted, as he dragged Lena to her feet, she was to broken to fight him off as he pulled her out of the mansion and off into the darkness. "You will be strong again Lena Salvatore, you will be so much stronger."

***********************************************************************************************

"Lena are you okay?" Rebekah asked, standing at the slightly opened door of Lena's bedroom, the brunette was sitting at her desk, still clutching Kara's letter to her heart, still not understanding how it managed to deliver itself to her. 

"I need to visit her grave" Lena choked out as she stood shakily to her feat, a tear running down the side of her cheek as she looked at Rebekah, who knew exactly who she meant by 'she' there was only ever one grave she wanted to visit in this city. "I need to visit Reign's grave."

Authors Note: 

Hey guys hope you liked this little bit of backstory and thank you for all the votes, reads and chapters it means a lot!