24

"Everything has changed and yet, I am more me then I've ever been."

By Iain Thomas.

His words almost made me want to vomit. The knot in my stomach seemed to gain intensity because it was beginning to actually hurt—like the kind of pain you get when you hadn't eaten in an entire day. My wolf responded with a vicious and loud growl with alerted Kuma, who instantly was at my side looking up at me with a questioning whimper. Helen...and Alex...had been planning to kill me, too? Why because Helen's mate wasn't enough for their sick, twisted minds?

I couldn't believe my ears and I didn't want, too.

I knew Helen hated me because she thought it was my fault that her own family disowned her and left the pack. I knew Alex...I didn't know their hatred for me was so toxic that they actually wanted to kill me. "Skye," Deon's face was full of distress, he could feel my entire whirlwind of emotions, "You could have never known how twisted they were." He tries to reassure me but I still can't even process the first part of his grave news.

I shook my head as I felt tears in my eyes, "I just can't believe...they were never like that...I can't even begin to understand." Deon brought me into his chest and wiped away my tears as I struggled to understand what had happened in the time I was gone, "How long ago was this?" I questioned softly.

Deon responded softly, "It happened a few months ago. I asked everyone to keep it from you because I knew how you would react..." Deon exhaled softly and ran his hand through my hair and I leaned against his touch—the sparks and warmth from his touch was enough to reassure me almost completely, "The Elder's have been very open that they think judgment should come from you and only you." Deon spoke carefully and was watching my reaction.

I frowned and I didn't like that, "So, I should have that weight on my shoulders? Because I was the she-wolf who Alex threw away? What, they think that I'll pick death for them because of that reason?" I responded bitterly and with some anger. Just because I was rejected by Alex years ago, didn't mean I would instantly pick death for them so carelessly and easily.

I was almost offended.

Deon was shaking his head, "Skye, the Elder's have been watching your progress since you first set out on your journey. They know you've grown and matured enough to not pick such an easy option for them. They don't want your judgment because they know you would give them death, but because they know you will make the right decision. You're compassionate, Skye, and everyone knows that." Deon explained gently.

I unwillingly pulled away from Deon as my mind whirled with this information. There was a weight on my shoulders now...one that I never wanted. Honestly, how could someone cure such villainous mentality? Helen was pregnant...and that poor child....what would become of that poor baby? It didn't have fault for having such a deranged mother. I think that stung the most for me...that poor pup would be born to such a vile mother and without a father.

When that pup would grow up...how would they react when they hear the whispers of the pack? To hear that their mother killed their father for a wolf that wasn't her mate? I couldn't begin to imagine what that pup would go through.

"I'm sorry for dropping such a bomb on you." Deon apologized quietly as I stood there with my mind working overtime, "I did warn you." He looks upset but I feel guilty for making him feel that way. I looked over at him and saw him staring intently at me and my insides just bunch up. My heart stuttered and my wolf purred—Deon's wolf gave a light growl in return.

He held out his hand and I immediately took it. He brings me into his chest again and gives me a tender kiss on my forehead. I hug him tightly and breathe in his unique scent—it's already imprinted into my mind. Despite what Deon told me...I was still incredibly happy that Deon had turned out to be my mate. Deon growled lowly—the sound resonating through his chest and it made my heart jump in delight.