13

"Nothing burns like the cold."

by George R.R Martin.

Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland

There was no right way of pronouncing Ittoqqortoormiit because everyone in the village seemed to have a different way of saying it. I simply avoided saying the name of the town because it made me feel stupid. Natalie had clever, little nicknames for the town that always made me laugh. It was cold as shit, too. Kuma's thick fur made easy for the year old pup to become immune to the freezing cold. Natalie and I weren't so lucky because we weren't used to such temperatures despite our warm bloodied bodies.

Since we had come from a warmer climate, Ittoqqortoormiit weather had shocked our bodies when we first came here.

Five months into Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland and we still weren't used to the cold weather. We were in our small...hut. The pack here was very friendly and it was a big relief since the Akumal Pack was such dicks to Natalie and me. They were very welcoming and nice that they gave us a cute, navy blue house in the center of town. The Alpha, his name was rather complicated to say, didn't want two females on the outskirts of town because they had feral werewolves that liked to come at night.

Natalie told him that she could take care of them but the Alpha declined

Natalie told him that she could take care of them but the Alpha declined. He felt pity for those werewolves and that they haven't attempted to kill any human or werewolf. Feral they might be but even wild beasts knew their bounds.

"One more fucking month," Natalie grumbled, her voice was being muffled by the thick scarf I knitted her.

Knitting was very big here in Ittoqqortoormiit.

"And then we're out of this icy shit hole." Natalie wasn't so fond of Ittoqqortoormiit, Greenland like I was but she did like the pack here. The unmated wolves were rather dashing but simple minded to her.

Kuma trotted happily as we made our way to our favorite café. It was just down the street but last night, it had snowed rather heavily so we were having a bit of a tough time walking. "My toes are going to freeze off." I muttered secretly hoping that this last month would go by quickly.

"Where are we going next anyway?" I asked waving at some human friends I met when I first came here.

Natalie growled under her breath, "I don't know. My too happy sister in law likes to withdraw this information from me. She says its because I love surprises."

I blinked and looked at my mouthy and grumpy companion, "But...you hate surprises?"

Natalie gave me a very flat glare, "No shit I hate surprises, Skye. I'm being sarcastic!" She snapped at me.

Kuma growled at her.

Natalie simply flipped my furry creature off.

I rolled my eyes, "You two are sure getting along."