3.7: futures destroyed

Playlist: Good Enough - Little Mix

After

Coach Kenneth was shaking his head. He was pursing his lips. He wasn't going to let me into the water.

The moment I walked into the gym, trying to clear my throat but only managing to irritate the flowers, my coaches noticed. They didn't say anything at first. Maybe they thought it was a minor cough, not something that would be any problem. But after taking a couple laps in the pool and feeling like I couldn't breath properly, Coach Robby asked me to get out of the water. I could feel all the freshman staring at me but more importantly, I could hear Tony and his band of goons snickering.

"Yeah?" I asked, trying not to look bone tired or like I was low on stamina.

"Are you sick son? You're not looking so good, a little pale actually."

"It's just a minor cold. I'll try not to get any of the other guys sick though." Coach Robby looked out at the pool as Coach Kenneth continued to drill them. "Please don't send me back to the dorms. This is the first practice. I'm the team Captain. I should be here."

"Not if you're not feeling well Lance and especially if it's only getting to aggravate that cough of yours." I didn't reply. I was afraid that if I opened my mouth, I would cough up petals. He sighs heavily, rubbing his forehead. "I know you're the Captain and I know you have a lot to prove but.. It's not a big deal Lance. Kenneth and I already know what a good swimmer you are. We just need to train this lot." He gestures to the pool. A cough is forcing its way out of my throat and I can't hold it back this time.

"It's not that bad, really." I managed to get out when I finish but Coach Kenneth is shaking his head. Clearly not buying into my lie.

"McClain, I'm sending you home. Go shower, change, get some rest. You need it. It's just the first practice. This doesn't mean we're benching you for the season or that you're still not the Captain. We just need you to get better." But what if I never get better? What if this disease kills me? Then I wouldn't have to worry about my scholarship, or what I want to get a degree in, or anything really. I'd be fucking dead.

"Okay coach." I said, giving in. There was nothing I could do. We could stand here and argue some more but I wouldn't win. My limbs ached. My throat felt raw. Everyone could tell that I was sick. I just wouldn't admit it.

----

Lancey-Lance
Hey dude is your roommate in your room?
Can I come over?

Keithy Boy
Uhh no he's not and sure Lance.

I don't know why I texted Keith. Maybe because I knew Hunk was still in class and Pidge would be off studying with her friends somewhere. Maybe it's because there is nobody else I really feel like seeing right now; not even Aurora who I had been kind of avoiding ever since I asked her what she would do if I was in love with her. I think she can tell that I wasn't just being weird, that I was actually trying to figure something out but so far, I don't think she's put together my questions and my illness.

Keith was one of the only people I could talk to and not have him ask me what was wrong. He doesn't deal with feelings. He avoids them like the plague. So I'm just going to try to joke around with him and complain for maybe twenty minutes until I feel better and then just go do homework or something and wallow about how I was going to loose everything I hold near and dear to my heart.

I leaned against the doorframe for his room and knocked slowly. "It's open Lance!" Keith shouts. I open the door and see Keith sitting on his bed, leaning up against the wall. He's reading a book. The window next to him is wide open, letting in a chilling breeze and blowing the curtains around as well as his hair. "Hey, what's up?" He asked, closing his book and moving to sit on the edge of his bed.