1.8: working hard vs. hardly working

Playlist: Iris -- The Goo Goo Dolls

Before

"Tío, tenemos otro auto que viene." I called out as I finished wiping my hands on the already stained blue cloth. I had spotted the slowly moving car out of the corner of my eye and while I'm perfectly capable of talking to customers. Sometimes adults don't like talking to "bratty teenagers".

"Ve a hablar con ellos, por favor, Lance!" He calls back. I look into the front room and see that he's on the phone so I give him the thumbs up and stuff the grimey rag in my pocket as I hear the people begin to get out of the car.

"Lance!" Comes a rather excited and familiar voice. I look up fully to find Hunk, Matt and Pidge coming towards me. Pidge grins madly, before rushing up to hug me. She pauses though when she sees what I'm wearing. "You're filthy." She comments. I laugh.

"Yeah, I know." I grab her up in a hug and she starts shouting at me that I'm gross and to let her down and that I messing up her shirt. I set Pidge down lightly and she hits my arm as Hunk and Matt laugh. "What are you guys doing here?" I asked with a wide smile.

"To see you of course." Matt says. I roll my eyes.

"Okay yeah, but why? You could have mentioned something before Hunk. I would have gotten the day off."

"Yeah see, the thing is. I forgot you work unlike some of us and we wanted to surprise you with a visit since you live farther away from us." Hunk shrugged.

"Yeah and he only reminded us that you had work when we were halfway here and suddenly, showing up unannounced was a stupid idea." Pidge says with a shake of her head.

"But we came anyways!" Matt shouts, throwing his arm around his sister. "We stopped by your house and met your family which took about twenty minutes because your Mom refused to let us go. She told us how to get here and..." Hunk tossed me my backpack. "We're going to the beach."

"Guys, I'm working." I said a bit dejectedly.

"Not anymore son." My uncle says, appearing by my side. "It's a slow day. You work hard. Go hang out with your friends."

"Momma called didn't she?" I asked with a smirk.

"Yes and she threatened my life if I didn't let you go with your friends. Which I would have done anyways but.." He shrugs. "Have a good time."

"Woohoo!" I shouted unzipping my backpack to see what was inside. My favorite pair of swim trunks, a towel, sunblock, sandals, my sunglasses, a change of clothes, and water and snacks. My mom thinks of everything.

"Hurry up and go change! The others are waiting for us." Hunk says.

"The others?" I ask.

"Allura, Shiro Jeremy, etc. What? Did you think it was just us?" Pidge asks with a coy smile. I'm nearly on the verge of tears. I can't believe my friends would all come this far for me.

"I love you guys." I cry out, trying to hug all three of them at once but they complain about my oil stained clothes and I have to let them go.

"Now hurry up Lance. We're burning daylight!" Matt exclaims. "Don't make me leave your ass behind!" He shouts, getting into the drivers seat as I head back inside the shop to change.

----

The sun is shining, the ocean is waving and I'm ready to fucking swim. When I get to the beach, I find that our friends mostly have everything all set up. Shiro brought an Eazy-Up that Aurora and Jeremy were sitting under when I arrived. Tristen and Sarah were walking along the shoreline, picking up shells and preparing to make a sand castle together, while Allura and Shiro dragged a large cooler out of the trunk of Shiro's car.