chapter seventeen

"Are you feeling okay?" My mom said, handing me a cup of hot cocoa. 

Liam dropped me home after we ran away from the warehouse. It was the safest option for us, seeing that we weren't capable of handling all the assassins. Stiles and Malia had also figured out how to turn off the machine sending out all the deadpool's to the assassins. So thankfully no one should be coming after us.

A few days had passed since the whole fight at the Argent warehouse, Scott seemed really different lately as well. I could sense it off of him, I'm guessing he's just not used to fighting people. Kira told me that he almost killed someone and that he was turning into more of a beast like Peter did instead of his wolf form. I was getting really worried for him. 

"I'm doing just fine, thanks for the cocoa mom" I said thanking her. 

My mom grabbed a cup for herself and stood in front of me, on the other side of the counter. We both sat there in silence until one of us started talking. 

"How's everything with Liam?" My mom asked. I looked down at my cup and began spirilling around the edge of the cup with my finger. 

"He's doing okay I guess, ever since the night at the hospital he's been acting different. I think it's because he keeps seeing the berserkers and they wont go away. I mean it was the first time he fought anything and got really hurt." I explained to her. 

I looked up at my mom and she had a sympathetic look. "He's really lucky he's got you to help him out." She replied back. 

I couldn't help but think how my mom deals with everything that is going on. I know that Scott told her about me but I can tell she doesn't want to talk about it. To be honest, I still don't understand why I have these abilities. 

We were sitting and talking, it was getting really late. Scott walked in and came towards the living room "Hey, sorry I'm back so late. I was closing up the Animal Clinic. I got more hours to earn a little extra... money." Scott said as he was brushing his clothes off. 

Mom and I walked towards him in the living room. My mom grabbed a bag out from inside the cupboard and threw it onto the dining table. 

"How much more did you need?" She asked him. Looking towards the bag filled with money. 

Scott looked over at the bag as well. I could tell by his face that he wasn't prepared for this talk with our mother. "This is payment from the dead pool. I found it in Garrett's locker." Scott tried to explain. 

"This belongs to Derek? So you're just keeping it safe for him in a gym bag underneath your bed? How long have you had it?" My mom said, starting to interrogate Scott. 

Scott tried to avoid eye contact with her "Too long." He said, sighing.  

My mom saw that Scott felt bad for keeping the bag "You know you have to give it back?" She informed him. Scott looked over towards me and I just felt the guilt he had inside him. 

"I was going to." Scott responded.

My mom and Scott kept sighing at one another. This was a really difficult topic to talk about cause we have been struggling with money for a while now. Plus knowing Scott my whole life, he's always been trying to help out. "Do I want to know why you haven't?" My mom asked.

Scott took a step closer to our mom "Because of you." He said softly. Scott had a very small smile on his face. This was hurting my heart. I hate seeing either of them upset or worried.  

"Me? You mean because we've been struggling a little?" She questioned. 

"Mom, we're struggling a lot." I said, adding in to the conversation. I was sitting down on of the dining table chairs and looked at them both. Scott did have a point, I could see where he was coming from about not giving the money back right away. I doubt Derek has even noticed.