Lucy [ IV ]

"Lu, not so fast!"

"Lu, not so fast!"

Your feet carry you as fast as they can, your breathing comes in ragged short gasps, but your laugh echoes through the air. You and Lucy are running towards the stables as Narnians jump out of your way.

"You call yourself a warrior? You can't even keep up with me!" Her teasing giggles make you gasp, but she picks up her pace before you can catch up with her.

"I'll get you!" You yell after her but she just laughs and keeps running. You let out a breathy laugh yourself and slow your pace, resting both hands on your knees. You shake your head, just like you Lucy had become an adult about a year ago. Nevertheless, she still acted like a child sometimes. But maybe that was the thing you liked the most about her, her playfulness, young spirit and the talent to make you laugh.

When you walk into the stables, Lucy is already done with saddling your horses. She looks up at you with a grin and a knowing look in her eyes. You smile back at her, quickly run up to your horse, who's not very amused by the way you tighten the saddle, and hop on.

Without a warning, but with an enthusiastic laugh, Lucy races off. You follow her quickly, you know exactly what's about to happen and this time you don't want to lose.

This is something the two of you do almost every week. It's a way to escape from the busy days at Cair Paravel. The morning starts with a late breakfast, or early lunch, a quick visit to the apple trees in the garden (because you and Lucy have a weak spot for the sweet fruits) and then, after a slow start of the day, the race begins.

Running to the stables is one part of the race, but actually riding on your horses is the most thrilling part. Blood rushes to your cheeks while Lucy's giggles fill the air. Adrenalin flows through your veins, but at the same time you two find yourself the most relaxed when racing.

"Keep up, Y/N! I think I'm wining!" You hear Lucy shout. She's only riding a few feet in front of you, but every time you try to get closer she fastens her pace.

"You had an early start!" It's the only remark you can come up with. "I say we move the finish to the third blossom tree instead of the first!"

You can hear Lucy scoff and a snort escapes you. The Valiant Queen doesn't like risking her victory just to please you. But instead of laughing at Lucy you use this short moment of distraction to pass her.

"Never mind, the first blossom tree will be just fine!"

The sheer look of surprise on her face is enough to make you burst out in a fit of giggles, enough to make Lucy catch up with you again. When the two of you finally cross the first blossom tree it's a tie. Lucy sighs in disappointment but quickly giggles with you when you almost fall off your horse laughing.

The two of you can't keep it anymore when your horse starts to shake his head, "when will the two of you finally be able to pass the finish line without laughing your longs out?"

"I'm sorry, Arthur," you say as you give a slight patt on the neck, "I don't think that'll ever happen."