Susan [ IV ]

Here's a slight warning if you came here for short stories, this one is pretty long!

~~~

You know that tracking through the forest on your own is dangerous, but so is staying at one place when you're on the run. You knew from the start that Narnia was not the best place to start committing crimes, but there was nothing else you could do. People are willing to do everything when they have practically nothing.

You like to think of yourself as Robin Hood. Steal from the rich give to the poor, only you don't do that. The Narnians here already have what they need, there is equality and welfare amongst them. The only really rich people here are the Kings and Queens, but you know better than to rob them. Or so you thought...

Turns out that the saddled horses you thought were dumb horses turned out to be talking horses. And when you saw no owners nearby it seemed like the perfect moment to grab a small pouch from the packed saddle and make a run for it. Easy. But sadly, before you could retreat your hand the horse started yelling at its owners to come back quickly.

Without thinking your legs started moving at an incredible speed. But your pursuer was fast as well, you could hear their quick footsteps trace yours, but you were quicker. All this running through the woods had been good for something after all. Your throat hurt when the person behind you had given up chasing you, but for good measure you kept running.

You still don't know how long you ran for, but you stopped when a small creek broke through the clearing. You had dropped to your knees immediately to drink and now you're still sitting at the water bank, your fingers creating ripples as you touch the surface. It's calming and you find yourself slowly losing focus.

"Listen Susan, there's not other way out-"

"I hope you're right. I really need that satchel back."

The sudden voices disturb your peace and your eyes widen. Your head snaps towards the pouch on the ground beside you, you haven't even checked its content. However, it must be really important if its owners come all this way to get it back. But you don't even think about giving it back, if they catch you it will surely cost you your freedom. You're back on your feet in seconds and quickly move in the opposite direction.

You try to be as quiet as possible but the leaves and sticks that crunch under your foot don't make it easy. You close your eyes when your pursuers suddenly stop, "Pete, did you hear that?"

"Yes."

You can hear them get closer and closer and decide to hide behind a tree. Clutching the pouch closely to your chest, you take a moment to think about their names, they sound so familiar. There are better things to worry about though. Your heart starts beating faster when you can't hear their footsteps anymore.