Chapter 2 - To New Beginnings

Please comment/vote/follow! I am really excited to write this.. I love romance and mysteries. Hope you guys all enjoy reading as much as I enjoy writing :P I am going to dedicate this to @bookaddict555 ! You were probably my first supporter :) Thanks so much!

Chapter 2

Finally, my birthday is today. I just turned sixteen! Guess who decided it'd be a good day to see me? Yeah whoever you're thinking you are probably right.

Sometimes I am not really sure what his motives are. When I see him, he sometimes almost looks lovingly at me, like I mean something important to him, and other times he looks at me like he is going to kill and capture me, by giving me hateful glares. But, I could be wrong because the only time I get to see him, I see him only for a matter of seconds. I won't let him see me for longer than that. For by then I would already be on the road trying to get away from him, so I never have to see his ugly ass face again.

That is why on my birthday I stood by the highway on ramp with my thumb sticking west hoping to get a ride. I sat there for about two hours waiting for some generous lady, or some random truck driver with nothing else to do, to hitch me a ride. I spent my last dime on loaf of bread, so I was quite desperate to go somewhere new and find a job.

A big red semi-truck came to a stop to pick me up. I walk up to the passenger door and open it. I stood on the step to get into the truck and the trucker said, "Hey! I'm Richard Beard, call me Rick." He looked nice enough, I thought, but I wasn't so sure so I didn't hop in quite yet.

I looked him straight in the eyes and replied, "Hi, I'm Destiny Black, call me Destiny." He chuckled at the joke that I didn't even mean to make.

"Well ain't that a name, hop on in; I trust you won't kill me." I noticed that more of his accent was shown when he said this, and he seemed really kind.

I laughed as I hopped in, and as soon as he said that I started to trust him more and answered, "Nope, no killing from me."

Rick started to drive and when I was in, I asked, "Are we headed to Montana per chance?"
"Yup!" He said, "That where your headed?"

"Indeed." I smiled.

A few hours in we didn't know much about each other, but we joked and laughed a lot about nothing specific and even sang a few songs. We travelled for two days, making few stops, sleeping, and chatting up a storm.

Rick was such a funny guy; and on the second day he asked, “So, do you have anywhere to stay in Montana?"

"Ugh... Actually I don't." I said cautiously.

"Well, if you'll let me ask a few personal questions you could stay with me and my wife for a while, if you want. I know that we don't really know each other, but my wife would kill me if I left you somewhere that were sketchy, and a girl your age should not be alone, out gallivanting around the world." He inquired awkwardly.

"I would, but I don't want to be a hassle, and I don't want you to spend too much of your time, money, and effort on me. So, I'll have to say no." I admitted.

"I don't think you could be a hassle and my wife would want to meet you. Just stay for a few days. Get your bearings; we even have a guest bedroom you could stay in." He responded.

"Okay." I replied shyly, thinking that I didn't want to get caught up in this mess. Just knowing what would happen, getting attached and all that.

"My first question is, do you have any parents? Have you run away?" He asked.

"No, I have no parents and yes I have run away, but from the foster system." I said slightly truthfully.

"Well, that's the only question that I have so I guess you're stuck with me for another day or two." He smiled from ear to ear and turned up the tunes.