Chapter Eighteen - New Confusion

No one had spoken for the rest of the night after the fight when Eren got home. The still angry teenager had brought his dinner upstairs and ate in his room instead of with his mother and sister in the dining room, which saddened the two even more. Carla had suggested that maybe if Mikasa would apologize, Eren would realize his mistakes as well and do the same. Though the dark haired girl refused, claiming she wasn't in the wrong here and there was nothing for her to apologize for. Their mother of course disagreed with that claim and had to admit that even if she didn't approve of what her son did Mikasa still stepped out of line, but nothing the older woman said seemed to make either of the teenagers change their point of view. She didn't want to face it, but ever since Grisha left she has felt that her parenting abilities have started to deplete, she was falling into an unwanted state of sorrow that she needed to protect her children from.

The next day, of course, Eren had to go to school. He managed to get some more work done on his painting the night before, though he didn't feel the same peaceful and modest outcome he would get while working on other drawings, as this time he was driven by his anger and irritation he was consumed with. The somewhat rough strokes of his pencil and paintbrush weren't on his mind the entire time, but instead his thoughts were filled with his judgmental sister and her accusations during the fight they had.

Eren dreaded the thought of going to school today, though luckily it was Friday so he didn't have to deal with it for much longer as the weekend was nearing. He sighed as he closed the front door behind him, not missing the disapproving look shot from his sister who was sitting on the couch, waiting to leave with their mother so she could be driven to school. Eren decided to walk to school --having memorized the streets taken to get there-- as he didn't want to bother being in the same car with the two, which would either be filled with unbearable awkward silence or yelling voices. Eren knew his sister, meaning he knew she would do anything to bring the topic up to make sure he knew how wrong he was.

Everyone including Eren was aware of the thick dark gray clouds that quickly moved through the sky above them, and Mikasa was half expecting her brother to walk back through the door when he noticed the lightest drops of water tickling his skin. But, he didn't let the upset weather stop him, continuing to walk to school even after the sprinkle of rain got heavier.

However, minutes later --he didn't want to admit it, he never would-- when the once small droplets of water here and there turned into a downpour and he started shivering in his thin black jacket, he wished he would have not been so stubborn and just driven to school with them, as much as he didn't want to. But, he couldn't turn back now, so he continued walking the few more minutes to school where teenagers scrambled to get inside with their books or hoodies held over their heads, shielding them as best as they could from the pouring rain.

As soon as he made it inside the doors and away from the horrible weather however, he heard a voice call out his name. He turned instinctively at the familiar sound, smiling slightly when he saw the raven which brightened his mood a bit. "Hey." He mumbled, pausing his walk which was supposed to be to class to greet Levi instead. When the older male saw the state Eren was in however, he frowned. "God, you're soaked. How'd you end up so drenched?" Eren was reminded of his not-so-wise choice to walk to school because of the fight, and groaned audibly. "I walked to school." He spoke even quieter, and Levi raised an amused eyebrow at his reply. "That was stupid." He stated simply, and Eren huffed as he knew the raven was right. "Yeah, I know. I was trying to escape my overprotective sister --she thinks she can control my every move." He scoffed, rolling his eyes (which looked a bit odd considering only one was visible) while Levi hummed in understanding.