Chapter Three - New Friends

Credit to the artist of the drawing above!

Eren's POV

There were students everywhere, placed all in their own stereotypical separate groups. The nerds and scientists off to the right corner, near what looked like the cafeteria, chatting loudly and passionately, I could just about hear them since they were far across the entrance. The jocks and cheerleaders as well as other what-seemed-to-be popular kids stood off to the left, next to a few trees. The book readers were in a corner by a fountain all circled around with a large stack of books in hand, the goths and emos were sort of in a group but some were spread out on their own, being kind of quiet. And then there were just random people like couples and best friends walking around with backpacks and notebooks in hand. I was frozen, it was so much to take in all at once.

There was one group of students I noticed that had a bit of every type of person in it, which is what I like. They looked pretty decent, but all of these people in one place was making me feel anxious, it's like I could feel all of their eyes on me. My breath started to become quicker and I could feel the salty sweat trickling down my head, making me itch in nervousness. Mikasa sensed my discomfort and grabbed my arm, quickly walking through the large opening towards the hallway, and past all the staring figures.

I've always had anxiety problems when I was around large groups of people. Socializing was my enemy, that's one of the many reasons I hated school. Even if no one was looking at me, which was extremely rare in the first place, my mind would play tricks on me and make it seem like everyone had their eyes on me and were silently judging me, which they probably were. My body would immediately tense up and sometimes I would have anxiety or panic attacks.

No one knew how terrible I would feel, being judged everywhere I go, no matter what I do. Even if no one knew me or my personality, they would still judge me without even knowing me, all just because of my appearance, and the many disgusting mistakes I was born with. I knew no one would ever accept me. No one understood my pain.

Or so I thought.

We stopped in a relatively empty hallway and Mikasa turned to me and sighed. "I'm going to go to the office and get our schedules and locker numbers, are you okay with staying here for a few minutes or would you like to come with me? I think you should stay by me, just in case, I know its your first day but I don't want anyone to mess with you." She said in a protective motherly tone.

I glanced down at the floor and thought about it for a few seconds. Should I try to see if I can handle things on my own or should I play it safe?

After a while of hard thinking, and seeing a few more weird glances come my way from students passing by, I decided just this once to let Mikasa's over protective side take over. I sighed and started following her to the office, with her grip still tight on my arm.

As we walked through the hallway towards the main office, people stared at me, burning holes through my skin wherever they looked. The nervousness was continuously building up inside of me, like it was about to burst and take over my body any second and cause me to retreat away and hide in a corner, pleading that the judging looks and hateful eyes would stare at anyone or anything but me. But life didn't always go how you wanted it to. And I found that out the hard way.

We were almost at the office door, until I couldn't take it anymore. I started struggling against Mikasa's grip, pulling myself back towards the opposite direction, and away from the social interaction that was soon coming my way. Mikasa was taken aback for a moment before she regained herself and tightened her grip on my arm, we pulled against each other until she was basically dragging me across the hallway floor. I finally gave up, mumbling in protest knowing I can never break free from the grip of Mikasa's abnormal female strength.