Chapter Seven - New Bruises

Credit to the artist of the drawing above.

Insecurity and anxiety were some of the main feelings that were running through my mind and body at the moment, I knew it so well because it wasn't a new feeling, anyway. I took in a shaky breath, my chest aching and my heart beating like a pounding drum against my ribcage.

My back was still facing him, the deafening silence that felt like an anvil on my shoulders lingering throughout the room as the raven haired boy waited for an answer.

But, the way asked the question was different than normal. It didn't cause the hatred for myself to rise more than usual when other people asked it. Instead of the question being asked with disgust and pity, it was full of wonder and curiosity, a pinch of kindness layered over it like he was testing the waters, not wanting to push too far. I wasn't used to it. It made me want to run away from the confusion and ungiven answers, but also stay and find out what he truly wanted to know.

What am I saying? I'm sure he's not different from everyone else. Why should I get my hopes up when it will all just come crashing down in the end? He did save me from those rough bullies, but I don't even know him, I don't know his name, or how he is truly like behind his mask. For fucks sake, my first encounter with him was bumping into one another, causing me to fall into the ground and for him to snap at me. Just because he's helping me now, how do I know it's not all just an act?

Every time I find the hope of trusting someone, they patch me up. Only for them to rip me like a page in a notebook, not being able to be taped back together again.

I turned my head so I was half facing him, my gaze not meeting his concerned and confused one, instead facing the bathroom mirror so I saw my eye patch through the reflection. I reached my hand up to touch the white patch softly, my fingers brushing over the edge, and skimming along the string that tied around my head.

I turned back around, and opened my mouth, the only words spoken after two minutes of violent silence being;

"Medical condition."

Easy enough lie for me to escape this hell. And I walked out -the ache still lingering throughout my legs but not enough to disable my ability to walk- leaving the silent raven haired boy standing there alone and given a lie.

I want to go home.

I quickened my pace, through the thankfully empty hallways and towards my locker that was coincidentally close to the school doors. I can't let Mikasa see me, I can't let things get worse than they already are. I just need to get out and into the parking lot, and call my mom to take me home.

After I grabbed my bag and shut my locker, I made my way out to the front of the school. The courtyard was empty because of lunch being over and everyone returning to class, causing relief to wash over me. I heard no footsteps anywhere near or behind me, signalling that I wasn't being followed. I just need to forget that this ever happened, and I need to avoid those jocks that hurt me as much as possible, I don't want them torturing me even more because of the fact that the short raven haired boy saved me and I didn't stand up for myself. I still never got his name, and I don't want it anyway. I don't want anything to do with him, despite the fact that he helped me out.

I eventually made it out of the school, the few amount of cars that belonged to students and teachers littered neatly around different spots of the parking lot. I caught my breath and leaned against a shadowed wall, quickly pulling out my phone that thankfully wasn't taken by those jocks, and turned it on.

The first thing I saw when my phone booted up was a text that arrived this morning.

8:37 AM. Mom: Have a good day at school sweetie! I love you. <3